Empty lifts (and - how long can they keep moving?)

I went to Maiko today ( more info here ) and thursday made a comment in that thread about the empty lifts. And they sure were empty. Ironically, sometimes I was wishing there were more people which was a confusing way to be thinking!

How about your experiences this season?

Lifts busy?

Any queueing?

Where's busy and where's not?

Lets comparing.

------

For those interested, here's my pics from today:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/insider/photo_section.php?userid=muikabochi&userGallery=175

And a vid, check it to see lots of empty lifts:

http://www.snowjapan.tv/view_video.php?viewkey=d3c3b8269faf0ba7491d

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

running the lifts for the number of people there (Maiko today) just wastes the resort's resouces. Though the emptiness is a nice experience, just how many days can they afford to do that.

You mentioned the numbers were down from last year, then it is getting worse all the way.

• SnowJapan Admin

Maiko is actually a fairly large resort and is well-known with people in Tokyo. It used to be owned by the Tokyo Dome people, though that has changed for this season. It is right next to the Shiozawa-Ishiuchi IC just 5 minutes or so further on than Yuzawa and so is a very easy resort to get to.

I was also there today - work, honest - and it was very quiet. Looking over to Ishiuchi Maruyama it looked similar in terms of people on the slopes (ie. not that many). While it is good for the people enjoying the slopes, can't help but feel that there just simply aren't enough people.

I have been sent the official Yuzawa numbers today and so soon will try to put something up.

Grand Hirafu was busy (5 to 10 minute queues) on Sunday and Monday.

Two factors.

1. International skiers/riders on vacation plus Japanese skiers/riders making the most of the holiday weekend.

2. More significantly, the lift operators having no clue how to load the maximum number of people on each chair/gondola. Couldn't run a bath.

Quote:
More significantly, the lift operators having no clue how to load the maximum number of people on each chair/gondola. Couldn't run a bath.

I'll second this thought. It's the same way at Teine. I still don't understand why there is no singles line. Also why operators are sending up partially loaded chairs when there is a 20 minute wait. mad.gif mad.gif

Well this is not the fault of the lifties. I was in the singles line at King 3 hooded no less. I walked towards the chair and the couple in the queue did not want to get on. They did not like me. So I ended up going alone in a 3 seater hooded. Nice.......

no ski resort would be turning a profit with empty chairs. And with the price of oil now and upwards, it will be bleak. Either shut down the empty lifts and do only the gondola or as in the case or Maiko, join with the neighbour and offer a "United" ticket.

Madness not to do it.

Even with the queues at Grand Hirafu on Sunday and Monday they were NOTHING! The odd time there was a long queue for the Gondola, yes - but the chairs were half the size or less of a wait.

These kind of queues would be called 'amazingly quiet' in so many other countries!!

But what got me was people who pushed thier way through the lift queue from back to front and straight on without anyone stopping them. I did hear of one liftie stopping a chair because kids pushed through to jump on a chair with Dad and kicked them back to the end of the queue. Good lesson in manners and queueing skills learnt! But I saw many more occassions of adults getting away with it.

In Aus someone would deck them. But the locals are SO polite.

A singles queue and loading the chairs fully in busy times would be good, but part of the attraction for families and beginners here is that you can partially load a lift, and the lifties will leave an empty behind you if you are real nervous about getting off safely IF it is quiet.

haha, unlucky!!

Its pretty typical I guess, I've never been to a more Fad-following country in all my life!! I guess all that will happen will be that the smaller ones will close and there will be less choice, which will be a shame. In saying that though I have noticed that turning a profit doesn't really seem to be high on a Japanese business' agenda. There are loads shops/ restaurants etc that I see that are empty, never busy BUT always open.

Market them to the international travellers...

Pick a specialty - ski/board school for kiddies is a winner with the parents! What about teenager boarding classes/groups focussed on that market - the kids nag the parent to go ...the parents pay the money to fly half way around the world so they can!

Link with airlines, transfer buses to the door, and add inclusions like Lift tickets to the package. Easy done for them - put it out there and they will come.

those freaking banks are still servicing the loans they have not called in. They will keep servicing them as that is not a write off on the balance sheet. Stupendously stupid but condoned by the government. Hallaluya!!

Guess what? The yanks are gonna do the same with their subprime mortgages.

lol, Mambear, what you say is obviously a great idea, but Japanese are very insular (don't get me wrong, I love it here) and getting them to change something takes a long time. It can be very frustrating, especially if you have a business here.

Let not be frustration be your wall.

Citicorp bought a whole resort. They invited their bros to come and run the hotel. They did the nasty with their cconsumer channels and got themselves noticed. They are changing the landscape of a very traditional resort into an international playground. I am wanting to see the results in December 2008.

On the other side of the mountain, something similar is going on, but it is on the quiet. Perhaps the boutique market, perhaps by word of mouth. Let's wait n see.