2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the Heads up Thursday.

Meal last night was disappointing, but friends who booked said that in the week they have been here it was the worst they had had.

Not a lot was open in April - so I have some quick study to do - so much choice! But we DO need to book as we are a party of 14 now.

Originally Posted By: Kingofmyrrh
Niseko is a fun place and great snow, but you lot have a way to go before you can match Tokyo dining! Where'd you get your Teppanyaki, Mamabear?

Gee a little ski town of only a thousand or so people (who live here permanently) comapred to one of the largest cities in the world! I doubt we'll ever match Tokyo for dining.

If you want good seafood then Otaru is much better than Sapporo. Otaru is well renowned for some of the best sushi in Hokkaido.
 Originally Posted By: Go Native
 Originally Posted By: Kingofmyrrh
Niseko is a fun place and great snow, but you lot have a way to go before you can match Tokyo dining! Where'd you get your Teppanyaki, Mamabear?

Gee a little ski town of only a thousand or so people (who live here permanently) comapred to one of the largest cities in the world! I doubt we'll ever match Tokyo for dining.

If you want good seafood then Otaru is much better than Sapporo. Otaru is well renowned for some of the best sushi in Hokkaido.

I'd take good snow conditions over Tokyo dining anytime, any unhappy Nieskonians wanna swap??

Hey - every place has it upside and its down side!!

Perth is sunshine, open spaces, relatively quiet - I love it. But is has NO snow, and it has very little to write home about in the way of culinary delights!

Nice meal tonight at Bang Bang!

We have eaten at the Fujizushi - in April - I LOVED it! Have not eaten at the Alpen Sushi - just the Alpen place that does the curry and stuff - as I say - not a lot open the last time we were here!

We have a few bookings ahead as a full group of 14 including the kids, and as a group of 6 adults (YAY!), and I will be certainly trying out new things all the time!

Teppanyaki in Tokyo was at a tiny little place (we more than half filled it on our own with our six!) called The Steak Bar not too far from Shiba Park, and a stones throw from the JR stop at Hamamatsucho. LOVED it. We will be back in Tokyo on Australia Day - and it will be hard to NOT go back there just one more time - only thing that will stop us is if it is booked when we get back there (or if we can't drag the kids out of Harajuku!)

When is Australia day?

There is a place in Harajuku I like called Elephant Cafe, food from all over Asia, the food is good but I guess I like it more for its mood and decor, its huge but the lighting manages to make it seem small and secretive

Try the Alpen for Sushi Mamabear. It is much better than Fujizushi.

Others to try are Rin, in the lower village near Yukoro Onsen, if you are up for gourmet then Kamimura (former chef from Tetsuya in Sydney) although it is pricey and not really for kids as it is an eight course degustation, Big Cliff is always good (ate there last night) or Niseko Cuisine http://www.snowjapan.com/e/niseko-guide/niseko-services.html#NisekoCuisine if you want someone to come in and do it all for you.

Since you were last here, things have inproved a lot and are getting better each year.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
How many times have you come to Japan Mamabear?

This is only my second trip.
But my hubby and 14 yr old - it is thier 3rd.
And my eldest boy - his 4th (one trip was a student exchange).

Just back last night from a top weekend in Niseko. My first time to get up there and really enjoyed it. Was a bit gutted that the top of the mountain was closed because of winds for quite some time but managed to find some great untracked powder all the same! Was really frustrating that we were stuck over at the Prince Hotel though for a while as the gondola stopped and every man and his dog tried to get the bus at the same time. Once I figured out the terrain and the routes was great fun, and off the back of Hirafu was DEEEEP!

In terms of snow it was amazing, also top nightlife and restaurants. I was expecting a lot of Antipodeans but bloody hell....its festooned with you guys! However for linkage of mountains and runs, I prefer Shiga Kogen which is still up there as my number one. Need to experiance Niseko again for longer though and may change my mind.

Will definately visit again.

(If anyone is stuck around the Prince Hotel waiting for the shuttle bus and getting frustrated and bored then see if you can spot some SJ stickers strategically hidden!! New game for you!)

• 1 year later...

TB, at CNY there will be a lot of people, but there is enough of the infrastructure to cater for all. Us asians stay in the all inclusive bed and board and onsen, stay on the groomers and go to bed early.

Dun worry about it. When you be there?