• Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Californian Roll is a nori roll made with a centre of crab stick (you know that fake crab meat/seafood 'highlighter' formed into a stick shape) and avocado strip. Not a bad introduction to 'sushi' for the western palate.... but I never saw any in Japan!

Another one that I haven't seen in Japan is the chicken teriyaki nori roll - I think those two are the most popular here.

To be fair many of the sushi trains/Japanese resturants/sushi bars here are starting to also carry more authentic options as well. Eel, high grade fresh raw fish (salmon/tuna)etc. But the big sellers will always be the mushed up canned tuna and mayo nori rolls, chicken teriyaki nori rolls and californian rolls, as well as chicken kara-age....they are just closer in flavor to what a western palate expects.

The egg one is traditionally eaten at the very end, if there is such thing as sushi eating protocol.

but, hey, my relative owns a building with 2 floors of sushi service in Okayama so I should know.

Californian roll have been imported back to Japan and has been part of the menu since the early 80's. West coast USA had some really good sushi places then and the price was value compared to Japan. It was always a risk (hidden surprise) to get the bill from sushi place you never been, and thank god when the running sushi train came out in japan , the pricing is so clear without the big drop in quality .

Actually, there isn't. Created by nobs.

you can put soy on Shari (rice) or neta (flesh)

you can use your hand or chopstick,

you can order whatever you like in any order,

It is a custom not order sake with sushi, but this comes from the old days while sushi making is labour intensive so they didn't want to bother serving sake, and people were pretty drunk anyways.

Agari (tea) is made of powdered low quality tea which required hotter water to extract and hence the thicker ceramic cup. Also the less flavoursome tea was thought to bring out the sushi taste.

In the sushi world, they have different words to describe things. That's about it.

But the technique that goes behind the craft, is not something you can learn in a few months.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
NO WAY!! omg
That must be a Gold Coast thing - never seen Caesar/crumbed chicken and avo...egg yes, the Tamago Nigiri
P1080640.JPG

No not egg like that I am talking egg and mayo and lettuce in a sushi roll lol

Your one looks way more japanese!!