Read on another thread about touques really being beanies but have to set the record straight- a winter hat often made of wool is a touque. How do I know? cuz thats what us Canadians call it- and we are the ones who get shat on for months and months of cold... hence we are the more experienced and knowledgeable about the subject- I mean if a Canadian was to say a surfboard was actually called a widgey- biscuit- what validity is there in that? Its not our call- but snow we know... therefore a wooly winter hat is a toque. I mean whatever a Kentucky boy wants to call incest with his momma should be the gold standard too, right?

From Merriam Webster;

Main Entry: toque

Pronunciation: 'tOk

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle French, soft hat with a narrow brim worn especially in the 16th century, from Old Spanish toca headdress

Date: 1505

1 : a woman's small hat without a brim made in any of various soft close-fitting shapes

2 : TUQUE

3 : a tall brimless hat worn by a chef -- called also toque blanche

vs.

Main Entry: tuque

Pronunciation: 'tük, 'tyük

Function: noun

Etymology: Canadian French, from French toque -- more at TOQUE

Date: 1871

: a warm knitted usually pointed stocking cap

----------

Room for doubt perhaps? Especially if you pronounce it to rhyme with 'spook'...

I shall be meeting a Quebequoise this weekend, and I will ask her what she thinks of all this. Certainly spelling it 'toque' and pronouncing it 'took' is a case of trying to have your cake and eat it. I could smell ignorance in action which is why I looked it up.

Anyways, it's called a 'tea cosy' where I come from.

Being a native speaker if we go back to the french root it should be a Toque. The pronounciation/spelling probably changed over time. If spelt Toque should clearly not be pronounced like took if you want to be true to the origin. This being said every language has the tendency to "customize" their own words. Keeping in mind that Quebec is very often more purist than the french in their protection of the french language, I would think that they would have used Toque and kept it that way. If I understand what a beanie is, then I guess the french would call it a "bonnet".

• 7 months later...

There is no way Ocean should be able to get the last word on this.

And so just because I'm bored and have a few hours before I can go home I have brought up this thread to show Slaphead. Also it's my birthday so humour me.

Dimms - Look to first post for reasons why we call Toques toques and why we can and then why we don't call surfboards widgey-biscuits

I did have a good time. Met some ladies. Sang Kareoke horribly. Did my usual sketchy thing in front of said ladies and generally had a good time. Tried to see some Romanian Hostesses but they were closing shop. All in all a normal night on the town in Takayama.