Hi there,

I'm planning a two week trip to Japan and want to do 1 week snowboarding. I've read a lot on this website and forums, spoke to some sales people and its all been very helpful. I was hoping to ask some specific questions that some of you may be able to answer or just give your 2cents on to send me the right way.

Firstly, a bit about me : I'm an advanced snowboarder (lived in Colorado for 7 years) and predominantly freeride, love fresh tracks and am not into the park. I'm 28 and am over the drunken crazy ski-town pub scene. I'm very keen to experience Japan, meet the people, eat the food, soak in the onsens and plan on doing 1 week of traveling for just that.

So with this in mind, for my 1 week ski trip I'm looking for a ski destination that will have

(1) Great snow

(2) Great Terrain

(3) NOT overcrowded with powder hounds (i want it lol.gif )

(4) Japanese style nightlife to mingle with the locals or like minded traveller

I've been told that Rusutsu will fit most of the bill except nightlife. So what's the next best after that? Hakuba? Gifu prefecture?

also, are package deals the best option?

Thanks heaps!

lpak

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to experience a nice Japanese style resort town, then your best option would be Nozawa Onsen.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/nozawa-now.php

Now, most of the Japanese resorts have absolutely no nightlife, or at least the way you would expect to find in the states or Europe.

What some of my Japanese friends do after skiing/snowboarding is sneak some biers inside the onsen and soak for 1-2 hours.

Although I've lived in Hirafu for almost a year and by no means do I class myself as a local, here's my 2 yen.

1) Great snow

Best quality, quantity & consistency (top to bottom; over the course of the season) I've skied. Anywhere.

(2) Great Terrain

In comparison with resorts in Europe, N & S America, and NZ that I've skied the pitch of the terrain isn't overly challenging.

However, because of the constant pitch changes the skiing is very interesting and keeps you honest. If you have 'one turn shape and size' you won't have that great of a time here.

IMHO Niseko United is 'smorgasbord' skiing. A little bit of this and a little bit of that for the gourmet to make each run varied, different and interesting

And massive amounts of powder to feast on for the gourmand \:\)

(3) NOT overcrowded with powder hounds (i want it )

Very good standard of off-groomed skiers & riders. But thankfully more than enough pow to go round.

(4) Japanese style nightlife to mingle with the locals or like minded traveller

This all depends on when you visit and which bars/restaurants you frequent when you're here.

If you come when most of the Australian guests come - late December to end of January - then guess what? You'll see a lot of Aussies.

Come outside of that time and you'll see a more representative mix of nationalities, including Japanese, that you'd expect in a resort striving to establish itself in the international market.

I have done Japan a couple of years now, but I'm not probably the one to give my 2 bobs worth on which is the best place but I can give you some tips on getting there. The past couple of years I have used packages and they generally have cost me anywhere from $3100 for 7 days including airfare, accom and lift. However this year I booked through Jetstar to Osaka ($950 return inc tax) + JAL Osaka to Chitose $260 return + accom in Neseko $500 + $500 for lift, total $2250 and this is for 10 days. I saw Jetsar advertising cheap fares to Osaka the other day so they are still offering some cheap fares. Hope this helps.

Nozawa onsen sounds pretty good. Do you get lift passes to all three resorts?

As a note, it appeared to have a dreadfull season last year..Does anyone know if the "RECENT DATA" snowfall section in the resorts info section is just last years snowfall?

I guess more importantly, how often do bad snow years like that happen and, since i'll be comming the first week of feb, is this usually not the best time for snow? should i play it safe and stay on Hakkaido (more north, colder..etc)

Thanks Benno for the heads up about Jetstar - found a cheap airfare!

Cheers for all the responses so far - given me plenty more to read \:\)

• SnowJapan Admin
 Quote:
Does anyone know if the "RECENT DATA" snowfall section in the resorts info section is just last years snowfall?

It is the data from the previous year. We will update that information next month with last seasons data.

Mike Pow,

do you mean Niseko Grand Hirafu ?

With regard to the japanese experience, a friend who lived in japan for 2 years said that while Niesko was overrun, you could avoid all the tourists if you tried. I guess since i'll only have a week to suss out the place, I might end up flowing with the crowd???

cheers, lp

Originally Posted By: Sarge1
You are probably better off staying away from niseko if you are an advanced rider. Niseko is flat if you believe some, so you would be best to head down to haks and stay with Wayne Kerr

isn't somebody sharp??

Personal attacks aren't really the best way to get decent info off of here, if you disagree with someone just accept it without resorting to veiled attacks. : confused.gif
 Originally Posted By: Fattwins
Dont worry some people cant handle the truth or just cant read maps. Reading maps is a skill we learn in school.

Is it really? The vast people I've known in my life couldn't read a topo map if you paid em...Don't think it's part of any of the normal curricula I know of. You must have been a boy scout fatts?
I didnt say topo maps GN just maps. They did teach you to add number up right. 18 degrees plus 19 degrees equals flat.

Well you've mostly been referring to topo maps hence the assumption...
Dont worry some people cant handle the truth ...

I thought you might be a bit more grandiose in your response to Sarge..

Maybe something like..."Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with skis. Whose gonna do it? You Sarge? You, bellavista? I have more responsibility here than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Niseko, and you curse Hakuba's terrain. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Niseko's success, while tragic, probably is undeserved. And that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves people from going to Hokkaido. I know deep down in places you dont talk about at parties, you want me on that forum, you need me on that forum. We use words like steep, chute, couloir. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very opinion I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up some weapons, and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!" (with apologies to Jack Nicholson)

i have no idea how you guys got on the subject of maps but what do you think about Nozawa Onsen versus Hakkuba in terms of snow and terrain?

Nozawa clearly sounds like a sweet japanese style spot - will the snow and terrain make me happy? Are you allowed to go off piste?

thanks again..

p.s. i'm a university lecturer and maybe 3 out of my class of 140 knew how to read contour maps.