Hanazono: Sold! To the Chinese fellow at the back

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He might just do that. The thing about that side of the mountain though is that for the average pisted punter, there is bugger all reason to be there. And it is a long schlepp to the other side. It's one thing to put up some condos, it's another thing entirely to put up a gondola and provide better access to the peak.

Still, it might not be long before we start hearing complaints about another demographic dominating the resort.

I doubt there are that many skiers in HK.

There was a plan for a mega resort with a shopping mall et al that Harmony had failed to raise cash for. And with the happenings at Higashiyama, there is good reason to reach for that class of skiers at the Hirafu side also.

Needless to say nothing will happen there this season.

I think that there is good potential in the HK market for snow-tourists to Japan with everyone here making millions of $$$ and wanting to spend that money on more fun holidays. However, the big problem with Hokkaido is getting there. Unless they can increase the number of direct flights there many people who want to go will not be able to. For this reason, Honshu might be a better location to set up hotels-malls-snow resorts for Hong Kong holiday makers.

Looks like we were sleeping. This from Nikkei on SEPTEMBER 18

TOKYO (Thomson Financial) - Pacific Century Premium Developments Ltd (PCPD), a real estate development arm of Hong Kong telecommunications giant PCCW Ltd, has purchased resort developer Nihon Harmony Resorts KK, the Nikkei reported on Tuesday.

PCPD bought all the outstanding shares in Nihon Harmony, an Australian venture planning to build ski resorts in Hokkaido, for an undisclosed amount, the business daily said, without citing sources.

Nihon Harmony has been developing the Hanazono ski resort in the Niseko area on Japan's northern island.

PCPD will continue the project, and hopes to attract rich visitors, particularly from Asia, by adding a golf course and luxury hotels, Nikkei said.

Since unveiling its Pacific Century Place skyscraper in Tokyo's Marunouchi business district in 2001, PCCW has shown an increased appetite to expand its presence in Japan.

Did the Ozzies make a killing on the deal then? Or a take a hit? Someone must have a fair idea.

A big shopping mall might be exactly what Niseko needs to get the Japanese punters returning.

I think they made a killing and Li got a bargain.

------------------------------

SCMP 19 Sep

Prince Richard's bargain buy

It is not easy to guess what is the new idea in the mind of Richard Li Tzar-kai after Cyberport.

A year after he cashed out handsomely from his prime office site in Tokyo, he returned to Japan to buy ski resorts in Hokkaido.

His property company, Pacific Century Premium Developments, yesterday confirmed the purchase of Nihon Harmony Resorts, which developed the Hanazono ski resort in the Niseko area on Japan's northern island.

The project is about 4.5 times the size of Cyberport, although the Hokkaido resorts may not need any hi-tech innovations, but rather a golf course and luxury hotels.

It is understood that Mr Li's firm got a bargain for the deal, with a person involved describing the price as no more than would be paid for a house on the Peak ["a house on the Peak" is a reference to prime real estate in Hong Kong]. Mr Li wants to turn PCPD into an Asian resort play, with plans to acquire similar projects in Phuket and other parts of Asia.

Mixing business with pleasure, we hope Prince Richard enjoys his new business model as much as he enjoys skiing and diving.

From what I understand Li didn't buy Harmony out completely. I think he has a controlling interest but Harmony are still a significant partner who will continue to manage the resort operations. Li will mostly be the money guy who can finally bank roll some of the promised developments over there.

It would be adding diversity. Those who like 5 star hotels and shopping malls after their half day on the groomers can be catered for as well as those who enjoy the BC and 2 dozen beers afterwards in the pub.

Can't wait to see what it developes into as Hanazono is such a boring place right now. The public announcements just keep going on and on: "please visit Hanazono where the great snow awaits you". Well if you keep the lifts working a bit longer then people just might.

Im not talking poor farts Thursday. Im talking balance like Whistler or Sun Peaks or even Vail. Having a mix is what works best. The families eat in the restaurant and at night the same place serves drinks to the people that are going out.

From what I hear with my ear to the ground, it's not all aussie as everyone thinks up there.

My first trip in 98 there were heaps of chinese but of course they didn't stick out like bogs dalls like whiteys might, and they're buying up...

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
Even though I dont like Niseko it would have been nice to buy 7 to 8 years ago!

Building for one class of person never works in most cases. build a nice resort that functions properly that is more important.

I was of the undertanding that you had never been to Niseko Fatts? So how could you possibly like or not like it?

I agree with your comments about diversity in a village though. It's one of the reasons Hirafu works so well. We have accomm ranging from 3,000yen per night right up to 150,000+yen per night, from Japanese run pensions to penthouses with hot tubs on the balcony. You can get meals from as little as a few hundred yen to well over 10,000yen. You really ought to come check it out one day...you may find it's not as bad as you think.

well it's impossible to get the Hirafutei with the onsen balcony however much you are willing to pay and paying 13,000 per night for a basically 3 star is the only choice at Hirafu.

Bring on the 5 stars...... give us choice at that end.

Are you kidding Thursday? Who really wants to stay in hotels anyway?

You want top end, how about spacious, super luxurious 4-6 bedroom houses. Even your nanny , housekeeper and cook can come (this really happens) and it'll be like you never left home except for the few metres of snow out front door grin.gif