• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, while i'm familiar with a bit of zep, on the basis of this thread i downloaded "remasters" over the weekend and had a couple of listens.

i'm sure it was essential at its time, but for me it doesn't warrant too many repeat listens.

there is some fantastic stuff in there, but i ain't a huge fan. i'll listen to it on and off, but it didn't capture me like i was hoping.

maybe i'm 25 years too young? cos if you ask my dad, he'll probably claim that music declined dramatically after 1979

• 4 weeks later...
 Originally Posted By: BettyBoo!
I just don't like it! That simple!

(Perhaps I need to like it just to not irk 20 million people, who should be caring about more important things!)

I agree (and also with the fact that whether you like something has nothing to do with it's supposed 'greatness').

Led Zep have some amazing kick ass songs - like Immigrant Song, for example, but Stairway to Heaven is cheesy, 'dad-ish' and not that great.

I had a mate who used to play led zep all the time so it drove me mad.

Plus he was a drummer which made it excrutiating.

I like the fact that they are having a lottery for the tickets.

but meh, i dont care..

New material?

Rock legends Led Zeppelin have said they may write new songs on the back of their London reunion gig next month.

The veteran rock band's guitarist Jimmy Page said he would be "really surprised if there wasn't".

"We're musicians - as we're playing we'll probably be coming up with all manner of things," he told Canadian newspaper The Winnipeg Sun.

• 1 month later...
 Quote:
A Led Zeppelin fan has paid £83,000 for two tickets to the rock band's reunion concert, as part of an auction for the BBC's Children in Need.

BBC Radio 2 listener Kenneth Donnell, from Glasgow, paid to see the band rehearse and perform on 10 December.

I hope it's not a crap concert.
  • 4 weeks later...

Some good early reviews:

If nothing else, you could never accuse him of adding to the mountain of hype surrounding the band's re-formation. He certainly doesn't perform like a man entertaining serious doubts about anything - for all the pre-emptive discussion in the media about his inability to hit the notes he once could, Plant sounds fantastic, and retains an utterly magnetic and startlingly lithe presence on stage, kicking his microphone stand to the ground, dancing with a rather cheering abandon, even setting aside his celebrated distaste for the band's most famous and overblown song and having a stab at Stairway to Heaven.

But watching Led Zeppelin, it's hard not to wonder if the frontman's reticence isn't fuelling the other members of the band. Their previous reunions have been brief and shambolic: a rotten set at Live Aid, an under-rehearsed appearance at a record label birthday party.

Tonight, however, after a tentative, feedback-scarred opener of Good Times Bad Times, it's difficult to believe this is a band who have barely played together for the best part of three decades. They sound awesomely tight.

Originally Posted By: METAL
Some good early reviews:

If nothing else, you could never accuse him of adding to the mountain of hype surrounding the band's re-formation. He certainly doesn't perform like a man entertaining serious doubts about anything - for all the pre-emptive discussion in the media about his inability to hit the notes he once could, Plant sounds fantastic, and retains an utterly magnetic and startlingly lithe presence on stage, kicking his microphone stand to the ground, dancing with a rather cheering abandon, even setting aside his celebrated distaste for the band's most famous and overblown song and having a stab at Stairway to Heaven.

But watching Led Zeppelin, it's hard not to wonder if the frontman's reticence isn't fuelling the other members of the band. Their previous reunions have been brief and shambolic: a rotten set at Live Aid, an under-rehearsed appearance at a record label birthday party.

Tonight, however, after a tentative, feedback-scarred opener of Good Times Bad Times, it's difficult to believe this is a band who have barely played together for the best part of three decades. They sound awesomely tight.

Love Zep. Good to hear they've got their stuff together. thumbsup.gif