There's a few people here in Niseko that don't need a job anymore as they've made so much from buying and selling property here. If you have a fair bit of capital you can still make good money up here. Otherwise I'd think there would definitely be a market for development of western style apartments in Hakuba. If that area even got half the international interest that Niseko has got then you could make a killing by getting in early.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BOC,

I'll post a TR after I go. I couldn't go today because I haven't received my Shomesho. Once I get that, i'll head down there and gleefully accept my unemployment check as I look thru the help wanted ads for Russian hostesses, Philipino singers, and Yoshinoya counter staff.

How about Californialand or some other bizarre "themed" attraction in the middle of some countryside village? Make it as cheesy as possible. It will either be a mad hit or the opposite.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
what I'd like to know is where does all the end slices of bread go to?? Japanese bread doesn't come with end slices (heels), what happens to the ends??

just a wild guess: breadcrumbs?

When looking at starting a new business you can choose a path that follows your expertise or as I have done, choose an environment you are passionate about. If you can make money from your sport or hobby then you don't really call it work. If you are prepared to put in some long hours and do whatever has to be done to get the business up and running then you should be right.

A couple of rules.

Business plan - If you fail to plan you plan to fail. A plan is also essential if you are looking for investors.

Cash flow - Cash is king. You don't want to be worrying about your bank balance all the time. It creates a lot of stress and can affect your productivity. Make sure you have some extra money in the bank for unexpected costs.

The hardest part in the begginnig is the uncertainty. You don't need to risk everything you own and hard work usually pays off. I like the saying - "the harder I work the luckier I get". Good luck with your choice.

Originally Posted By: SirJibAlot
BOC,
I'll post a TR after I go. I couldn't go today because I haven't received my Shomesho. Once I get that, i'll head down there and gleefully accept my unemployment check as I look thru the help wanted ads for Russian hostesses, Philipino singers, and Yoshinoya counter staff.

Supposedly it takes a month to two before you get your first paycheck from them, on top of them spoon feeding you BS interviews etc. But you were "fired" right? If thats the case I believe you can collect 6 months of unemployment rather than 3 if you decided to leave.

Looking forward to your H.W. TR mate...sorry we couldnt meet up yesterday too.
what I'd like to know is where does all the end slices of bread go to?? Japanese bread doesn't come with end slices (heels), what happens to the ends??

Sorry, off topic but I think I can clear this one up. All the ends of bread go into a big bag (about 3 times the length of a normal Japanese loaf) which sells for about 50 or 100 yen. Sometimes you see them out in the bakeries at the end of the day and sometimes you have to ask for them. I can't remember what they are called though. I think it's just foreigners and the homeless who buy them.
 Originally Posted By: me jane

Sorry, off topic but I think I can clear this one up. All the ends of bread go into a big bag (about 3 times the length of a normal Japanese loaf) which sells for about 50 or 100 yen. Sometimes you see them out in the bakeries at the end of the day and sometimes you have to ask for them. I can't remember what they are called though. I think it's just foreigners and the homeless who buy them.

hahaha, foreigners and homeless, great association!!! I like the heels, they are great for toast, soaked in real butter.....mmmmm

Actually I was in the supermarket the other day and it struck me that you can't seem to buy whole chickens over here. Any ideas why? I love a roast chicken, then boil up the bones for a good homemade soup!!! mmmm

because no one has a big enough fricken oven to cook em in! ;\)

Actually I ordered one from the butcher a number of years back. The guy got his chicken already processed and had to specially get one in for me. Made a bloody great roast! \:\)

Originally Posted By: thursday
not a big barbecue country either.

they are down my way. Just head to the beach any weekend and there are loadsa BBQ's going. Take Monday for example, crappy weather but I was at 2 BBQ's on the beach and I saw at least 5 others on the go. Japanese are great BBQers although making yaki-soba on a BBQ is just sooo wrong. Stick to burgers, hot dogs and chicken (prawns if u like em). I love BBQ's clap.gif

CB,

No worries mate, I had a relaxing time with the outlaws and i'm back in Tokyo now. I can't really get the energy to get myself over to Hello Work, I'd rather spend my time on more productive things like talking to headhunters, doing business research, etc. I may make it down on friday, if not i'll go next week.

It seems this thread has digressed into bread crumbs (literally).