next summer trips will be myanmar and japan. that's still a good six weeks months away though

i imagine koh samui will have changed alot in that time soubs. hope you (still) like it

Originally Posted By: spook
next summer trips will be myanmar and japan. that's still a good six weeks months away though
i imagine koh samui will have changed alot in that time soubs. hope you (still) like it

damn, spook, I really wanna go to Madalay, Inley (sp?) and Bagan!!! Heard its such an incredible country and experience. Look forward to yer pics! thumbsup.gif

yeah, everyone i know who's spent time there speaks highly of the place.

i've been wrestling with the go/don't go issue for a while yet.

their human rights record is appalling and Aung San Suu Kyi doesn't want people to go there.

but on the other hand if you do go, and spend money carefully, it will directly benefit the local economy and people who have had very little say in the way their government is acting.

there's a (brief) summary of the issues on the lonely panet page

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/destinations/asia/myanmar/

and sunrise - france is awesome. you'll have a great time. plus, contrary to everything you hear, i actually found most french people to be very hospitable and friendly

Originally Posted By: spook
yeah, everyone i know who's spent time there speaks highly of the place.
i've been wrestling with the go/don't go issue for a while yet.
their human rights record is appalling and Aung San Suu Kyi doesn't want people to go there.
but on the other hand if you do go, and spend money carefully, it will directly benefit the local economy and people who have had very little say in the way their government is acting.

hey spook, i wrestled with that one a little while ago and opted out. i got as far as three pagoda pass and decided not to enter the country. i agree with the often tooted point that well directed money can be put to good use. actually the BBC did a very good series on Burma last year, and all the shop owners interviewed also said the same thing. however, as CB has mentioned Burma has some amazing temples like Bagan. you can be sure the regime is taking the entrance fees for that. i wanted to see these sites but i wasn't comfortable with the idea that no matter what, i wasn't going to be able to avoid supporting the regime despite my best efforts.
i guess it's an individual matter. i opted to not go. i felt that even though i could support some people who really needed it, doing so would also mean i would have to support the regime that is inflicting so much misery on the very same people.

yeah, i hear that daver. we're still very undecided about it all. it's a tough decision to make. i think i will have to give it some more serious thought.

like you said, even if you do minimise the amount of money you give to the government, by travelling there you encourage others to do so too, thereby legitimising the regime in a sense.

i need to read more and put some serious thought into it

Slow at the end of July I will be in a small village called Argenton-Chateau. It's apparently 50 mins drive (south?) of Angers, and maybe a few hours north of Bordeaux. I'm doing a one month painting course, my weekends will be free. Are you thinking to try and hook up?

We will be there from 19th-26th June.

Rather short considering the travel involved but it's hard for soubriquette to get away for longer periods.

Anyway, have fun bad-robot. Moving to Japan, or passing through?

Sunrise, you told me about this art course several years ago.

One month in France sounds really nice.

I'll travel alone and visit my friends in Bern and Milan, maybe Lichtenstein.

Angers... a little bit too far frown.gif

I wish I had three month holiday in Europe!