the Japan contest is on Fox now.

The lighting director of this gig should be shot. They all look quite awful (relatively of course!) The lighting is making them all look pretty drag-queeny. They sure aren't looking their best in this show.

From the Miss Universe site:

RIYO MORI

MISS UNIVERSE® 2007

What started as her grandmother's premonition became a reality for Riyo Mori on May 28th, 2007. At the Auditorio Nacional in Mexico City, the Japanese beauty was crowned Miss Universe 2007 at the age of 20.

A self-described "modern-day female samurai," Riyo prides herself on having a great sense of independence and self, "the traditional samurai spirit prizes composure, patience and a sense of justice. It is someone who fearlessly faces challenges with a strong will." Riyo definitely embodies an independent woman. By the age of 16, she left her home in Shizuoka, Japan to study abroad in Canada, eventually reaching New York at 19 years old. Through her travels and studies, Riyo has been able to master adapting to different environments, the importance of learning foreign languages and the need for intercultural understanding. When her host guardian in Canada was suffering from hearing loss, Riyo learned American Sign Language to communicate. This experience eventually led her to volunteer with Deaf children, working on art activities.

A dancer and performer since the age of four, Riyo has spent most of her life focused on her craft. Her mother runs a dance school in their hometown, where Riyo first discovered her passion. She was literally surrounded by dance, where classes were held on the bottom level of their house. It wasn't long before she was traveling the world in pursuit of her career. Riyo studied at the Quinte Ballet School of Canada, the Radio City Rockettes' Summer Intensive and was also accepted to the Broadway Dance Center in New York, but ultimately turned down the offer when she realized she made it to the finals of Miss Japan. "Everything was prepared; I even had an apartment in New York. But having the chance to become Miss Universe was beyond any dream. I had to do it."

With the title of Miss Universe now under her belt, Riyo is as determined as ever. She aspires to become the first Japanese Radio City Rockette and will eventually open an international dance school in Tokyo, Japan. "My mother taught me that women can have it all. You donít have to choose between having a family or career, you can do both." Riyo intends on spreading this message of empowerment and independence to women all over the world, just as her mother has for her.

Riyo is also excited to start championing the official causes of MISS UNIVERSE®, which include increasing HIV/AIDS awareness by focusing on womenís health and reproductive issues and forging relationships with organizations committed to research and education, including the Latino Commission on AIDS, Global Health Council and Godís Love We Deliver.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
Shouldn't the topic title be - "Miss Universe is *a* Japanese"

why?
It's the same as saying, 'Miss Universe is Canadian'

btw what's the difference between Miss World and Miss Universe?

I saw that today, I agree terrible lighting. None of them looked that incredible. The one that won though was probably the best choice. I think I prefer last years Japan winner though (when the lighting is right!)

See that ad with last years runner up in it. She looks totally different - I mean really you can hardly tell it is the same girl. I think they all look much better without all the clown / Finding Nemo / Panda bear makeup. Some of them looked just totally ridiculous with all that eye-makeup. Some people must think it looks attractive I suppose. Sure as hell not me.

• 2 weeks later...
 Originally Posted By: bobby12
Shouldn't the topic title be - "Miss Universe is *a* Japanese"

Not necessarily. 'Japanese' doubles as noun and an adjective. Saying "Miss Universe is Japanese" is just using Japanese in its adjectival form. I think it sounds more natural without the 'a' article, but to each his own.

To not derail this thread: She is hot.

There was something on the tv about that gg. The ojisan they intereviewed were not overly impressed as she wasn't "traditionally Japanese" (thats pretty much what they said).

I watched some of that yesterday (the Miss Universe program). What a joke the whole thing is. Funny watching Miss USA fall over though.

I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers ;\)

I found that she speaks japanese just like that singer, Ai (the one who grew up in the states). in other words, a low voice and an aggressive way of speaking. She wouldn't make the first cut to be a public announcement girl lol.gif There is def nothing 'kawaii' about her voice or way of speaking, when you compare it to regular japanese girls.

I read somewhere (maybe even from a link from here) that the lady in charge of 'molding' these miss universe girls makes an effort to get rid of the traditional japanese female values ie quiet, shy, obedient, and pale white face (which looks bad in the spotlights)

Saw her appearance on Bistro SMAP last night (by accident - I don't deliberately watch those clowns). She's got a nice body, for sure, but her face is very average, I'd say. Seems to have plenty of self-confidence lacking in many J-girls though

I saw her appear on a couple of shows - I don't think she's going to be able to make much domestically of her new found fame once she finishes the show circuit this month. She'll have to look internationally for something - Japanese seem to only like super humble kawaii girls.