Does anyone actually use cassette tapes any more?

I was just reading this bbc piece "10 uses for audio cassettes" which says that sales are dwindling. I didn't even know they sold them anymore!

Quote:
Sales of audio cassettes are dwindling, but what use is there for the estimated 500 million tapes gathering dust?

I like number 6 - MAKE BELT BUCKLES lol.gif

Anyone use them?

ha ha. I was just thinking about this yesterday. I was rummaging through the supply cupboard at school and found some blank tapes. I couldn't believe they were so big! lol.gif

I haven't played a tape in YEARS

it's weird how technolgy changes. i remember having one of those stero systems with a tape deck and cd player.

my housemate has this ridiculously huge home entertainment system, but we don't even have a radio in the house. the other day i was trying to listen to something on the radio, and ended up having to hook up my laptop to the speaker system, and stream it through the internet.

vinyl was given a new lease of life through dance music, but now that club DJs can mix CDs and and mp3s, turnatables and vinyl will be the next thing to die.

i wonder if you'll be able to buy CDs in 10 years time, and if there'll even be music stores?

Yes, I still use them - still have a pile of old cassettes that I like to play at times. Analog sounds way better than MP3/MD, tape hiss and all! Don't record on them, though. But playback on a good deck thru a good system is fine \:\)

Quote:
and I thought vinyl died a long time ago

Far from it. I think I read that there is actually an increase in the number of releases on vinyl. Some people love it.

Not the point. There are lots of vinyl snobs out there now \:\)

There's a few vinyl only shops opened in the last year that I know of. They may be more expensive but to some people they superior to the cold sound of the CD. (Sounds like a load of bollocks to me, but... lol.gif)

I don't own any cassettes and don't have a player either. They still sell blank tapes at the electric shop in my town but I can't remember ever seeing albums on tape for sale for a long long time.

Got an ancient tape machine in my car as well. Don't use it though as I don't have any decent tapes at all. I never bought pre-recorded cassettes even back when it was vinyl vs cassette. Seemed such a strange thing to buy when you could make a tape out of a record.