Fairly strong earthquake in Niigata

Yes you did, info is below. If you drop the coordinates into google earth, you can see the exact location of the epicenter.

-SJA

== PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE REPORT ==

Region: NEAR WEST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

Geographic coordinates: 37.219N, 138.858E

Magnitude: 4.9 Mb

Depth: 12 km

Universal Time (UTC): 8 Jan 2007 09:59:35

Time near the Epicenter: 8 Jan 2007 18:59:35

Local time in your area: 8 Jan 2007 18:59:35

Location with respect to nearby cities:

79 km (49 miles) SSW (192 degrees) of Niigata, Honshu, Japan

88 km (55 miles) NE (44 degrees) of Nagano, Honshu, Japan

93 km (58 miles) N (349 degrees) of Maebashi, Honshu, Japan

190 km (118 miles) NNW (335 degrees) of TOKYO, Japan

...especially when you have had pretty terrible experiences in recent years and are rather sensitive about these things...

It was quite powerful. I haven't felt one that strong for probably getting on for 2 years.

Some memories:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/8/3608.html?

If you were in Yuzawa you wouldn't have felt it as much. It was a 2 there. Interestingly there's a fair bit of difference between Muikamachi and Yuzawa, just 20 minutes away. When Muikamachi gets a 4, Yuzawa gets a 2. (Well in the Chuetsu jishin cases anyway). Apart from the fact that it is further away of course, it seems that Yuzawa is built on more sturdy foundations than us in the valley to the north.

Not that strange though if you consider the fact that the hypocenter was at 170 km, which would place it on top of the subducting Pacific plate. The plate is in contact only with the North-eastern part of the Japanese arc, so thats why you get that strange looking northwards spread on the intensity map.

I was surpried that I didn't feel it while in Niigata that eve, but when I saw the depth - I figured it was on the Pacific plate - however it's location seems to put it on the transform fault where the Euro, Philippine, and Pacific plates merge. I would have thought more shaking to the south, but perhaps you are right - it was the pacific plate at such a depth.

Full report below...

== PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE REPORT ==

Region: NEAR S. COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

Geographic coordinates: 34.877N, 138.667E

Magnitude: 5.9 Mw

Depth: 168 km

Universal Time (UTC): 15 Jan 2007 18:17:59

Time near the Epicenter: 16 Jan 2007 03:17:59

Local time in your area: 16 Jan 2007 03:17:59

Location with respect to nearby cities:

27 km (17 miles) ESE (116 degrees) of Shizuoka, Honshu, Japan

90 km (56 miles) ENE (77 degrees) of Hamamatsu, Honshu, Japan

92 km (57 miles) S (174 degrees) of Kofu, Honshu, Japan

132 km (82 miles) SW (229 degrees) of TOKYO, Japan

The subducting Philipine plate base in that area is at about 70 km depth. Also the Pacific plate is not in contact either with the Philipine or the Eurasian plate, but is subducting inside the upper mantle at about 150 km depth. So basically it could have happened only on the Pacific plate at that depth.