Hard core? He'll be doing it easy in a bloody resort!

Hard core is a mozzie dome and a make shift banana leave shelter with rations of banana and rice! Just watch out for those bloody mossies.

Spook, yep that was the Dang. How perfect? 1 waves an hour if ya lucky and usually get burnt by a brazo off his head on coke..

I think you will have fun getting your lady into waves on a reef, when I was pushing mine onto reef waves for the first time in Indo, the reef magnified through the pristine water freaked her out big time!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha, yep it will definitely not be hardcore

things will be reasonably basic for the first few months, but it won't exactly a feral indo camping trip. i am actually really really looking forward to getting back to basics a bit.

i know there was some discussion about this a year or so ago, but what are your thoughts on malaria indo? obviously long pants and long sleeve shirts are the go in evenings, but did you take anti-malarial pills when you have done long stints over there?

I've taken doxy before (i get slightly nauseous, but it's manageable) and i don't like what i've heard about larium. bugs seem to like biting me, so i thought it might pay to take precautions and munch the pills.

but i'm not sure about taking them for extended periods (say, 6 months) and i've also heard that if you do get malaria, it is harder for them to treat if you've been taking pills than if you haven't.

i'm going to see a travel doctor, but thought you boys might have some useful input

I never took any malaria tablets and i was in indo for 9 months at a time.

I think the medicine is worse than the disease!

Saying that, the year before i was at Nias a japanese guy died from malaria.

And when i was in ujung genteng (java) there was an indo guy in the next room in delirium who had it when i was there. I made sure that the mozzie net was not letting anything in that night!

It is a very complex issue and i am no expert at all. I dont think even doctors know the real truth of it all.

And some guy who was taking some medicine had all weird psychotic reactions to the meds.. i forget which med.

p.s. I thought you were gonna rough it spook. woos!

Spook, similar to what koko said..

I wouldn't recommend taking any meds for a long stint.

Doxcy dries you out and you'll burn easily.

Malaria will give you weird trips and nightmares etc.

I took a shitload of Larium for TREATMENT.

If you get malaria symptoms start taking large doses.

Bugs and mossies don't like me so I was pretty lax, though up there long light pants, and long sleeves and covered in RID after sunset till sunrise.

Don't be fooled in the day either. Always sleep under a net, the Dengue mossies are the ones to worry about in the day.

I got mine in Sumbawa but my bro got Cerebal Malaria up just north of where you will be going.

have fun you rucky bastardos!

nah, helping a mate set up a resort. by the time i arrive in mid-march he will have the restaurant/bar area built, and construction will be starting on the staff quarters (with a few extra rooms for us). as everything is skeleton at the start, we will probably sleep in the bar area or something, as for the first few months most guests (if any!) will be friends or friends of friends.

we will also be doing some hard graft and lanscaping and helping with construction etc, which i know nothing about - i'll just help with the grunt work. after a surf in the morning of course

the malaria pills which send people crazy are normally larium. my only concern with malaria is that once you've got it, it can recurr at any time

Spook,

you're getting paid?

Your mate must be blowing out his budget by hiring you instead of the local fellas!

If you need any extra hands I'll work for free!

Seriously look at getting a mozzie dome. Mozzies always manage to get into the nets and holes etc etc. you and your lady will be able to sleep in one worry free. Therma rest as mattresses and you will be set.

nah, no way we're getting paid! we're working for free, in return for the chance to set up a pretty cool seasonal gig.

i'm going to take pics of guests and try and sell em at a cheap/fair price. alot of other photogs charge heaps and heaps, but i will prob do it for less, just to make a bit of cabbage

waaaay down the track. if things go well and he is making good coin we'll ask for some cash, esp if we are building his business for him, but that's at least 2 years away.

basically it just sounds like a fantastic opportunity to hang somewhere great and surf (which we would have done anyway) but to keep ourselves busy and maybe set-up a great little lifestyle

we'll come back to oz over summer and have to earn some cash for the next season. at the moment i'm just punting on stocks and hoping something goes bananas

If Indo's gunna work for free, I'll do it cheaper than him.

I've never been up that way other than Nias. My missus went backpacking through Siberut in 89 as an 18 year old. She stayed in some long houses with the locals, pretty ballsey stuff. It would still be pretty remote eh?

I've always taken Malaria tabs, cant remember which ones. I've never had malaria. My longest stint in Indo at one time is 8 weeks.

My second youngest bro got malaria but not the reoccurring kind.

You in for one helluva adventure Spook. Good luck to ya.

nice pics! for the photo buffs out there, an american dude called d hump (he shoots alot for stab mag) put out a great coffee table book a year or so ago. fantastic poprtrait shots of indonesian people and tribes, along with epic lineups

a mate just got a jetski and we took it out for a run yesterday. found some empty beachies just north of the spot at yanchep and whipped each other in. conditions were light onshore so it was pretty tricky and choppy, but good fun. good to practice too, it doesn't seem like too much of a learning curve before you can start playing around in 3-4ft outer reefs and start working your way into it. but man, the left side of my body is so sore from hanging onto the rope

Everybody is getting waves but me...

I was going to go down to Chiba yesterday as it seemed like the tail end of the typhoon was producing some pretty nice conditions for once but I slept in and missed the early session... by the time I got my act together half the population of Tokyo was in the water and I just didn't fancy it. As I get more experienced (while still very much a beginner) I seem to find the crowds more and more of a bother. Still, only got myself to blame this time. Need to escape to somewhere quiet for a week or two!

Originally Posted By: spook
yeah, cold water hold downs always seem worse than warm water ones.
not that i've been held down by a 55ft wave recently...

Those buoyancy vests must help there. Though I think it would be a double edged sword. If you were stranded in the impact zone and were trying to escape a rolling 20 feet foam ball, I think it would be impossible to dive for the bottom.

Now to summarize the last few weeks surfing activity.

Done sjangry.gif