we call them 龍蝦, "Dragon Prawn". I don't like the Boston variety cos they are small and offer very little in the way of satisfaction.

The Australian ones "off the shelf" come in at like 5KGs and they are delish.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mantas,

i will have to wait till i go to seals to get some abs then..

I must take some garlic with me..

I dont fancy sticking my hand down a big hole, you never know what is down there..

thursday,

fresh abs are the best tasting thing evah!

I prefer blue swimmer crabs to lobster, but i would be a massive minority..

trippy,

i saw this tv show on nz fisheries officers busting these paua(sic) poachers. Like them highway patrol reality shows.. it was good.

(sorry i forgot to say "bro")

surf was tiny today, only six inches but i still went out because i have not been out for days..

oh wow. that sounds yummo, we used to just chuck them in with the prawns when we were cooking them up.. and eat them on the wharf..

iced water stops them cooking any more , doesnt it.?

the vinegar sounds a good idea, never thought of that.

I used to be a professional fisherman and got terribly spoilt. I only used to eat the best. Now it is frozen fish fingers, lol..

Originally Posted By: kokodoko
I prefer blue swimmer crabs to lobster, but i would be a massive minority..

Not at all. lobster is overrated IMO. I prefer prawns, (they are a bit harder to catch with you hands though). I'm a bit like you were koko. Spoilt. Lobster salad, lobster sushi, lobster morney.........yer...yer ....yeeer! \:\)
 Originally Posted By: thursday
This thread is better than the cho yummy thread. Abalone, lobsters, this is what seafood is about.

when I visit Australia, every meal will be lobster and abalone with some bubbly.

Thursday,
Us surfers get to snag some decent food! Surfing introduced me to sashimi fresher than most ever get to eat it.(Indo boat trips!)

Where i was staying down at Phillip Island, you would come in from a surf at low tide and there'd be thousands of the buggers clinging to the rocks a metre below the surface. Just grab a legal abalone knife (not screwdriver ;\) ) and take ya 10 per day limit. When it's a higher tide if I didn't have a bag with me I'd stuff em down my wetsuit top! Awesome feeling!
If we were sitting in the back yard getting ready for a barbie, I might call "feel like some abs!" 20 mins later, were back and chompin!

Mantas, our next door neighbors rellies always send us a few KG of Kangaroo Island Crays. Last time 2 x 2.5kg's (gets put out to dinner when no one else is around!) More coming this Xmas, guess what my dinner will be come December 21st??? Drrooool!
and just to keep with the thread topic, I might even get a surf! grin.gif
 Originally Posted By: Indo

If we were sitting in the back yard getting ready for a barbie, I might call "feel like some abs!" 20 mins later, were back and chompin!

thumbsup.gif Yes it's a good life by the sea that's for sure. I can walk from my house with my diving gear and return a couple of hours latter with a bag of lobster, abalone and fish, ready for the BBQ. All gratis \:\) .

trippy,

that is criminal, bro.

How i cook them is cut off all the black crap,

slice them as thin as i can

bash them up

fry in fry pan with butter and garlic(not too long)

eat immediately maybe with some lemon

*slurp*

I am off to seal rocks tomorrow so i will tell you what the abs and surf was like when i get back \:\)

I have to get some dive gear tomorrow before i go..

Hopefully the noreasters are blowing.. *fingers crossed*

I do similar to you koko but I bash before slicing.

Also helps to marinade.... gives a bitta extra softness.

Back on topic, I hear the east coast especially QLD is in store for it's most active Cyclone season in 10 years.. enjoy! and i7ll be coming for the tail end!

i'm not much of a fisherman, but i hooked into some herring, squid and a floating clump of mussels the other day. it's hardly the most impressive haul, but it's hard to beat good fresh tucker on the boat

now can we get back to the surfing??

i surfed some smoking waves over the past few weeks. one very very good beachy session with all the boys on the morning of my wedding. i didn't come out of it, but pulled into one throating pit (you know the ones that seems to suck you backwards and just go sooooo round - i had a massive grin all day from the view)

now that summer is here and the waves aren't as good, i am getting supremely amped to hit the snow again

Originally Posted By: spook

i surfed some smoking waves over the past few weeks. one very very good beachy session with all the boys on the morning of my wedding. i didn't come out of it, but pulled into one throating pit (you know the ones that seems to suck you backwards and just go sooooo round - i had a massive grin all day from the view)

thumbsup.gif That's what I did Spook. Surf before wedding. A bit of a tradition amongst my mates. I was almost late for mine. I was sitting in the car waiting for them to come in. They just kept waving at me after each wave and paddled back out. Bastards!

Congratulation on that fine 'almost' barrel........oh...and getting married too. clap.gif

cheers mantas.

yep, i was having kittens getting all the boys to hurry up at the bakery, but everyone was doing the usual swanning around the bakery, getting some beers for the drive back etc etc. all good in the end.

it was only and almost barrel, but not making a deep thick one is sometimes better than getting a handful of easier ones.

I had a lovely surf before my wedding with my brother and a mate, I was in Bloody Indo, so that goes without saying! 8even got a meat pie too!)

Wasn't cracking but good to get a session in before a huge day.