Has to be pretty good around here before the boys start to hoot.

Indo- Have you ever been to the Mentawais. The boys are organizing a trip next year. I've already said I'm in. It's a 2 week trip that starts at Gunasitoli Nias and then works it's way south through the Banyaks, Telo, Hinakos then Mentawais.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been to the Hinakos Islands in the nineties before the yacht craze started. It is freaking awesome there.

We went in an old indo fishing boat that looked like one of those refugee boats..

One dude got a fin in his leg and someone stitched him up on the boat.

WE got some sik waves but i have no idea where they are. We had no maps and i doubt if the captain even had a compass!

I know i surfed Bawa at about ten foot, snapped my leg rope and ended up in shore at the village with all the locals staring at my and the kepala desa(village head) inviting me in for a cuppa.

best waves of my life.

Yes mantas.

Bloody great place, but i haven't been back since 98.

Telo's are good but lack the punch of the Mantawai's and Hinakos.. Bawa is a beast.. Asu is a great wave too but fickle with the winds.

As long as you are with your mates you'll have a great time. Going on boat trips with strangers can be like living in HELL!

I've never done a luxury tour, only old Indo fishing boats at were bartered for at the local ports. F all food and no beer! but bloody good waves.. I don't think I can do the feral for too long anymore these days!

I went to Nias in 87, but missed out on the Hinakos. Bearshead went there and described it much like Kokodoko , minus the deck-top surgical episode . The boat will be full of 'us' don't worry about that. I haven't been to Indo now for nearly ten years. My Bahasa is all but faded. I think it's time to return. there's been so much hype over the Mentawais, and from what I can gather it's all justified.

I really don't want to mix with too many crowds. Some low key spots will do us.

Originally Posted By: Indo
 Originally Posted By: TJ OZ
The place reminded me of Torquay about 15 years ago before the surf scene went nuts.

The one thing I found strange was the silence in the water. The J crew didn't talk and no hoots.

I don't see how you come to that comparison about Torquay and Chiba wakaranai.gif but the silence is a killer eh! A few crew hoot here at 2ft ankle slappers which always make me laugh!

Quiet beachside town with a developing surf scene. Some nice new surf shops and restaurant/cafes. Cool local crew. Maybe I have been out of Oz too long and just loved hitting the beach.

Congratulations you guys OZ surfers!!

I didn't know what was happening when I got a phone call from my friend in Brazil, couldn't access the internet...

But I was so excited and happy to watch Mick's champagne celebrate on the website last night! clap.gif

TJOZ, I hope to see you in Chiba next time you'll be there.

I think Chiba beaches are really cool, I grew up in Shonan area and love beautiful sunset beaches around there but when it comes to waves, Chiba is great place to go. totally different atmosphere, more countryside, more beautiful waves, more real surfers there.

I just go on the road. I do it mainly for fitness.

Are those pics a normal japanese surf day? It is small but it looks like they are reasonable waves.

Are there any waves in February? I was wondering about going for a surf on a weekend maybe when i come skiing. Or am i just crazy?

I don't know what's worse. Big and sloppy or really small and clean. Both frustrate the shit outa me. I surfed yesterday out of shear desperation!

You do some cycling Indo?. I used to do a bit when I was doing triathlons. I used to do 120km+ rides when I was in my prime. I only ride to the shop now, or check out the surf.

I'm going for a run on the beach in the rain ...see ya.

Kokodoko..

Mate reasonable?? we are talking wave period of about 4!

Gutless..

Winter is a good time here especially North. Though as it's my last season here, I'll have all eyes on the mountains.

Mantas, I was a roady that went to triathlons. Used to clock up over 50km(s or more a day riding to training, training etc..

Was in SA Jnr Team and trained at the SASI.

Miss the winter saturday rides of 100-180k's. Bakery stops through the hills. But I miss the waves more!

Those long rides used to kill me. I was never any good. My swim and bike were OK but I used to run like a turkey, at least I can blame my dodgey leg for that. lol.gif

My wife was the star. She won her age group at The Australian Ironman in a time of 10hours 11 mins First amature home in 11th place. There were about a dozen guys from the local tri club that did it. She beat all of them but one.

I know the world you come from Indo. I know it well. Pain and discipline, hard work, dedication, gratification and satisfaction. And it all means nothing to anyone but yourself. I can see why you like martial arts.

It was a big part of our lives for many years. I must have done over 50 tris. A few halves, canberra, cairns and Forster but never the big one, never got round to it. I pretty much gave it away when the kids came along. My missus kept going at it. No.1 was 18 months old when she did the Ironman. It all got too much when No.2 came along. She racked up some titles along the way. State and National.

I was always torn between surfing and tris. While I like the challenge tris offered. I just couldn't give up surfing. The crunch came when I was doing a race at Byron Bay. The bike leg went out past Lennox head. As I got to the top of the hill I could see perfect lines of 6-8 foot swell rolling down the point, and here I was heaving my hole out up a hill so I could come 356th out of 743 competitors.

I wish I could be that fit again but i know it's not going to happen.

I don't like Martial arts right now.

Sitting here with a bung knee.. State champs tomorrow.. Looks like I'm not going to the All Japan titles this (They are also the world champs)

The fact that you lady hit those achievements so soon after giving birth gets my respect big time.

A great ride can feel great but can it beat the feeling of escaping that cheese grating over the reef for that elusive 5-10 second barrel.

i'll be buying a bike on return to OZ for those rare no surf days!

Can't wait..

CB's also an Ex triman!

The easterlies are still blowing but the rain has stopped at least.

Maybe the noreasters will start blowing now..

I have been able to surf and ride the bike this weekend - the first time for a week..