I sure haven't noticed it. My first weekend in Japan I went out and bought rounds as I would in Hawaii, spent around 100,000 yen but can't recall ever having the act reciprocated.

I always feel (slightly) sorry for some of the non drinkers at parties. They seem to have to pay the same as everyone else for their 2 orange juices. I always make sure I get my moneys worth at these dos. \:\)

Buying rounds just makes so much more sense than everyone buying their drinks separately. However they rely on everyone following the associated code of conduct. ie you must buy a person a round if he or she buys you a round

I know a few people who are very adept at sneaking round the rounds system and getting rather a lot of free drinks. They are renowned for it. Good people, but this one thing gets on all their friends nerves. It's not something that is easy to discuss either

Here's a strategy if you are so inclined. Arrive 15 minutes early. Buy one for yourself, then normally it's technically your round and you have to get up to buy the other guy one when your friend arrives. But, as you are early if your pint is less than half, then it swaps and your friend will then feel the need to offer you a refil. Nasty people.

If I don't know the people then I don't buy rounds, unless the purpose of being there is to specifically have a few drinks together and meet each other in a small group. But even then I may say "I'll buy these drinks", but it isn't a round. I just bought some drinks and don't expect you to buy me one back. When with Australians I sometimes excuse myself from the round buying if there is more than a few people who I cant be bothered being around. If someone wants to buy me a drink then good on them, but don't automatically expect one back.

Having said this, I very frequently buy a bottle of wine or champagne, even dinner, for my friends when we are out having a good time together. It is a gesture, not a way to get them to buy me a drink in return.

The culture of round buying is based on getting pissed with the highest economy of group effort. That is, getting pissed as easy as you can. And at the same time making sure everyone drinks the same amount (cause no one in Anglo land likes a drinking cheat).

I sometimes tell Japanese people that they have to buy me an extra drink because they lost the war. But I have to know them extremely well before I do that.

Quote:
Originally posted by pie-eater:

Here's a strategy if you are so inclined. Arrive 15 minutes early. Buy one for yourself, then normally it's technically your round and you have to get up to buy the other guy one when your friend arrives. But, as you are early if your pint is less than half, then it swaps and your friend will then feel the need to offer you a refil. Nasty people.
hahaha, arrive early. difficult if there are more than one of these cheats in you circle.

Almost every place here has a happy hour from 5 to 8 or 9. So if you get a round in happy hour, it's double the number of drinks. Quite hard to get many rounds in, especially when it goes on the tab.

I have found in Japan most of the time, its just buy one for yourself at a bar or split the tab if in an Izakaya. Rounds suck if you are with heavy or fast drinkers and you either dont want to or physically cant keep pace.

I go to a few local places with ticket vending machines for the drinks- I really like that system, no fumbling cash to the barkeep, just give him a ticket.

From whats been written above, it seems the first rule of 'international' shouting is NOT to include Poms - they're always trying to pull a money-saving scam? ;\) lol.gif

I just take turns till I've had enough and politely exclude myself, or better till, change to non-alcoholic drinks - that way ya still got a glass in the mitt.

Quote:
Originally posted by snowglider:
Rounds suck if you are with heavy or fast drinkers and you either dont want to or physically cant keep pace.
My thoughts exactly. I hate having to try and keep pace with faster drinkers (I am not a big guy who can drink fast like a lot of others), and much prefer to enjoy my drinks rather than be forced to scull them and keep up with everyone else. I always feel a bit ripped off when having to buy everyone else drinks and keep up with them just to get my moneys worth.

I didn't know there was so much thought going into drinking.

Glider, Subby, bushy - just do what I do and ask for the cash equivalent when offered a drink in a round that you don't want to participate in, but had already bought everyone else a drink so was 'owed' one.

Quiet a few times I am only half done with my beer and everyone is moving onto the next round. At that stage you are entitled to demand the cash in lieu of the drink. It really pisses people off as they feel like they are getting nothing for their money. Totally irrational. I have never enforced it, but push my point until my friends get annoyed.

Probably lazy as in stalls when its his round and reputation as in tight git. I had a friend like that. No-one wanted to go out with him.

The obligation round thing is only really in the UK in my experience. It has a strange kind of politics that goes with it. I prefer to buy drinks for myself and sometimes for a few other people.

Quote:
It has a strange kind of politics that goes with it.
You're right. It can get tiring and annoying. I only really do rounds with a group of really close friends. Happily we all drink around the same pace and remember if we miss one.