OK my Japanese skier friend has these ski boots that he reckons have been molded to fit his feet perfectly. (Surely he means just the inner part)

Whats that all about? Sounds like a fair idea I suppose, is this common?

i just got mine in hokkaido last month. the most important part is the footbeds (inserts, whatever...), the liners are less important. Basically, if your footbeds are molded to your feet, every little muscle contraction in your foot can be transferred to the ski/edge, and you have much more control. Molded liners are nice, too, but liners are much less rigid than foodbeds, and therefore do not transfer energy as efficiently. This is why tight-fitting boots are so key...so every thought of movement can be transformed into rippin'.

As I understand it lots of newer boots have a thermal fit inner. They bake the inner in an oven and then you wear the boots for a while in the shop and they are done. They also stik a pad over your toes so that you have a little more room in this area.

Its not only to of the line boots anymore - lots of them have it.

boot work is key to a good ride.

I will buy my boots from a small shop at a little bit higher price just to get them fitted prefect.

I have wide feet and it takes 2 years to tweak my boots to get em right. I hate buying new boots cause its painful.

Footbeds are a need for anyone one who doesnt have a normal, prefect foot.

Molded liners i have had them twice and they always go to the crappers. I prefer a good soft liner that forms to some degree.

PS dont over crank your boots they should never be too tight just that perfect balance of beening able to keep your feet ie heel in place.

Will never go back to factory fit boots! NEVER EVER.

Got my Flexons last year or the year before with baked inners to fit my feet nice and snug. No movement whatsoever unless they are not done up tight enough.

My biggest concern was not fittig right, but you re-bake me and they go back to their non-foot shaped sized ready for you to do it all over again.

You have to watch for drying them that you keep them far enough away from heaters and ahir dryers and other type of boot dryer options as they will lose their custom fit and you have to take em back to a shop equipped with the oven.

Also watch for the burning hot inner when you get em fitted. Can cause some great discomfort.

Speaking of boots, can anyone recommend places in Tokyo for advice, buying and fitting?

The big problem for me is that I'm still very inexperienced (generously falling in the 'intermediate' camp at ski school) and my Japanese is really poor. I was really hoping to get some fitted boots to make skiing more comfortable and make improvement easier, before taking some holiday time in late February for a week's skiing. Up until now I've only ever used hire boots, with mixed success.

Any suggestions?

Some Deeluxe board boots have moldable liners. AFAIK, they're the only board boot maker to make em. I think Deeluxe and Raichle (ski/alpine snowboard) are the same company.

Salomon board boots come with Con'formable footbeds. At least my F's did.

Kling, they are special, very special. In general, they are lighter, less stiff, more comfortable, and have a big toepiece that fit in the front binding. They also flex above the instep so you can freely drop you knee. They are so much more comfortable than alpine boots, quite a few people at hardcore ski towns wear them much of the time, even when they're not skiing.