Are punks violent against strangers? I was in my local bar last night and there were two punks in there, absolute personifications of the archetypal punk appearance and very tough looking. My friend and I were debating if punks were violent. We decided that punks from before our time were not into going around attacking strangers. We also guessed that punks of today (like the ones in the bar last night) were to busy looking like punks to beat people up.

Anyone here ever been a punk? Were you violent against random people on the street?

(I drank an ale called Bombardier last night, had about 8 pints and really liked it)

USed to hang out with a few friends who were your typical punks...had the look and the attitudes to boot. But honestly they were just average guys dressed up and trying to look different. If anything people tried to pick a fight with them more often than not. Im guessing just because they looked like punks and these guys wanted to try and show how tough they were.

Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:
We also guessed that punks of today (like the ones in the bar last night) were to busy looking like punks to beat people up.
Yeah I honestly haven't seen a real punk in years. Just a bunch of emo kids with their hybrid goth/punk thing going on.

In my first year of uni there was a guy in one of my classes who was a 'real' punk. He looked really, really scary and no one wanted to make eye contact with him for fear that he would lunge at you and rip your throat out. Then when I was at the library one day he came up to me and asked me about an assignment we'd been given - turns out he was actually a very nice, softly spoken guy. Not at all what I'd expected.

I always thought they must be really tough to be able to wear 20-hole Doc Martens in 30 degree heat. Such torment would have driven me insane.

Actually, the only tooth in my head that has had any dental work on it is a ceramic cap where I lost half a tooth thanks to a punk. When I was a teenager, I was sitting on a wall outside a party when a 20-something punk walked by and smashed me in the face with his motorbike helmet, knocking me backwards off the wall, concussing me, and breaking one of my front teeth.

So I'd be looking to demolish another punk pretty sharpish if one ever gave me any shit.

I think punks used to get beat up quite a bit around the sex pistols kinda era, early punk I suppose. Back in the 70's lots of brits were still really pro british monarchy and when God Save the Queen was released for the silver jubilee ect.. I think quite alot of punks got the shit kicked out of them.

Long long ago in the era of hazy smoke when I was a surfie/hippie some good friends were full on original punks.

A couple were toughies but totally non-agro and they all were fairly hell bent on self-destructo.

Ah - Weren't we all.

Smack played it's insidious part - leaving Billy frozen stiff on the bathroom floor at the age of 18.

They looked the part and lived it('cept Billy) \:\(

I had some punk mates (old school) who have a serious problems with anger, violence and alcohol. They are fine if you know them but were always keen for a fight and have trouble knowing when to stop.

Not my kind of mentality..needless to say I like to distance myself from them!

I`m seeing a (actually, probably the only) political punk band in Japan. they are called the Happening, and they are REALLY good. The lead singer spent some time in America, and she speaks better English than me.

You can listen to some of their stuff here

http://www.myspace.com/thehppnng

They are playing at Mukou-Ga-Oka Yuen (about a 5-minute walk from the Mukou-Ga-Oka station, wherever the hell that is) at around 3 pm with some other bands this Sunday. It may even be free.

Oyuki - they sound decent. Have a good time there.

So perhaps Punks are not as violent as their tough kind of appearance suggests. But they do appear somewhat 'internally' violent, self destructive....

Those mohawks must be a pain in the arse to maintain.

He goemon - aren't you supposed to be going snobo this weekend???? ;\)

When I shave my head of a Friday evening, I sometimes leave a bit of a mohican. But I soon realize that I've got it squiffy again and lop it off.

If only I had somebody with a can of Special Brew and a fag in one hand and the clippers in the other to help me.

hah, I was doing that recently as well, just for away from work weekend entertainment. I would shave my head down to 1mm long and leave a 10mm wide and high line down the middle. I did it by putting sticky tape on my head and shaving everywhere there wasn't sticky tape. It was never straight, but the biggest issue was the somewhat thinner patch on my crown. It resulted in a discontinuous 'mohawk': healthy and thick for the first three inches then looking like a burnt out garden hedge over the crown. Quite pathetic really.

Ha! they also take off their brand-new 7-man yen leather jackets before they mosh. It might get a drink spilled on it or smething...

I was looking at some fashion magazine last month, and there was a guy in there who was super-punk. Of corse there were tons of `punk` photos in there too, with the mohawks and leather jackets (which i find pretty boring). But this guys wan`t dressed too wierd, but had a safety pin tattooed on the corner of his mouth (WTF?) and in big kanji on his neck 反戦. Punk as f*ck.

Update

I saw the happening, and they were really good, but the venue was too small to rawk out. Everybody just stood around and watched.

I tallked to their new drummer ( a canadian guy from Golden!) and he said the Bouncing souls show the night before was amazing. Nice photo!

All of us then retired to the anarchist/alternative media outlet in Shinjuku, where we made spaghetti with a vegan rose sauce and had good coversation. Black Bloc aside, i have heard of anarchist punks described as `Quakers, who swear alot`. They also smoke a lot!

I got to hand out with some of the anarchist punks for the rest of my stay, and it was a great time, probably the best i`ve ever had in Tokyo. i was also introduced to another great Japanese `punk` band.

I had stayed the night at one of the happening`s bass players apartment. She had just moved there, so me and my friend who were staying there helped start a little vegetable garden in the small plot of green outside here veranda. We asked for some music, and she put on something that sounded like a cross between tom Waits and japanese festival music.

As it turns out, it was a punk band called `Soul Flower Union` who also play `Ching Dong`, in this case old ching dong songs put to old Ainu, Korean, prolateriant and other social movement lyrics.

As the bass player remarked, Its more punk than punk rock`. And it was. I bought the CD the same day.

Nice story, oyuki; finding a good punk band/scene is always special.

The Souls show had a good bit of friendly moshing going on. One little Japanese girl kept ending up on stage, simply because she was so small and easy to throw up there. One time her shoe must have come off while she was crowd-surfing because she ended up on stage with a shoe in one hand, just pumping it up and down.

Here are a couple more shots:

114119048_57c9932e3f_m.jpg

114119019_e13e6bf84b_m.jpg

114118924_8978a6e684_m.jpg