• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. He's now on a strict diet of triple cheeseburgers and Bud.

"Juan Pablo Montoya has parted company with McLaren, just a few days after he announced that he was making the switch to NASCAR next year.

A statement issued by McLaren on Tuesday morning claimed that the team and driver had reached a mutual agreement for him to step down immediately. He will be replaced by Spaniard Pedro de la Rosa, who last raced for the team at last year's Bahrain Grand Prix."

• 2 weeks later...

lol.gif

Byebye. And heres me at one time thinking you might beat The Chin. Looks like the Chin is doing ok the last few races.

Do you watch soubriquet?

Quote:
Originally posted by frannyo:
lol.gif

Do you watch soubriquet?
Not anymore.

I used to cycle 30 miles each way to see Mike Hailwood on a 350cc Honda beat Agostini on a 500 MV at Mallory Park.

The last GP`s I stayed up for were to watch Hakkinen.

I wonder how the viewing figures have changed in the last 5 years. It seems and awful lot of people have stopped watching F1. It almost became mainstream popular at once......

• 2 weeks later...

Missed it but by all accounts it does sound like it was an exciting race.

And at Hungary too. Isn't Hungary one of the notorious "well folks, difficult to overtake on this circuit" circuits?

• 1 month later...

Renault calling foul play

Schu quits amid F1 'fix' storm

September 11, 2006

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER will quit at the end of the season — and vowed to take the world title with him.

The Formula One legend announced his retirement after winning in Italy yesterday.

But Renault boss Flavio Briatore soured events by claiming this season’s title race has been fixed in Schuey’s favour.

Briatore was left fuming after his driver Fernando Alonso was dumped five places back on the grid to 10th.

The Oxford-based Spanish ace was ruled to have blocked Felipe Massa in qualifying — even though he was 100 metres ahead of the Ferrari.

Alonso, 25, was forced to turn up the revs in his engine as he charged through the field to third.

But he paid the penalty just 10 laps from the chequered flag when his engine exploded.

Schuey’s win yesterday meant Alonso’s overall lead was cut to two points with just three races left.

Briatore, who also copped a ban on Renault’s radical suspension system earlier this year, raged: “This is a world championship which has already been decided.

“We have understood how things go — it has all been decided.

“They have decided to give the world championship to Schumacher and that is what will be.”

Briatore also compared F1 to the Italian match-fixing scandal in football — know as ‘calciopoli’.

He added: “Compared to what is happening in Formula One, calciopoli just makes me smile.”

Alonso fumed: “I am a sportsman, I love the sport. I love the fans coming here.

“But I don’t consider F1 like a sport any more.

“The verdict on this weekend is simple — the race was decided off the track on Saturday afternoon.”

Governing body FIA are now set to hit Briatore with a disrepute charge.

President Max Mosley said: “That is the real sort of down-the-pub conspiracy theory.

“It is just not like that. Just look what happened to Michael in Monaco and Hungary when he was penalised by the stewards.It’s a Sunday morning row.”

Seven-time world champ Schumacher, 37, held back tears in Monza.

He said: “One day the day to go has to come and I felt that this is the time.

“I want to leave while I am still at the top level.

“The effort, all the energy, all the motivation — It does not get any easier as you get older.

“I want to finish in style — with the championship.”

Schumacher will be replaced by Finland’s Kimi Raikkonen at Ferrari.

I'm not. It will be good to see F1 without him, we've had enough of his domination and the favoritism he seems to get. Will have to find a new baddy but.. (whatever happened to Eddie Irvine?)

Quote:
Originally posted by thursday:
Didn't think I'd say this so soon, but I'm sad to see Herman go. He has at least 3 more seasons in him.

The last time I felt this way about a driver was when Senna copped it.
Ferrari forced Schumacher's hand. They are planning for the future, and Raikkonen has long been signed for next year. That left one seat. It could have been Schumacher's, which would have meant sacrificing Massa, but for what? The certainty that at the end of his career, for the first time, Schumacher would have been up against a genuinely first class team mate. I'm sure he still has the physical capacity to cut it, but I suspect he no longer has the absolutely single minded burning desire. In this case, by not screwing Massa he's been able to step away with dignity.