"Where's my giri choco?"

A Japanese guy at work, who I don't often speak with, asked me that this morning.

It was a strange question to be asked and I wish I had some prepared witty answers to come back with, but I didn't.

confused.gif

I think being straight to the point is best. Just say you dont like his sorry ass and the fact that this is one of those rare occasions where he speaks to you to get choco is stupid.

If hes married you could say but I thought your girlfriend would buy you some...

Yeah, but 'giri' choco doesn't work like that does it. I can't believe I just wrote that. The whole idea is just totally mixed up and plain silly.

Valentines day here in Niigata. Some school kids (kindergarden?) from another prefecture sent "Valentine chocolates" to the kids in a school here in Niigata with messages of "gambare" (recovering from the earthquake etc).

The kimochi is all well and good, but,..... .Valentines chocolates?!!?

If you've known him for over a year, you could say that since he didn't give you anything last White Day, you were under no obligation to give him anything for this Valentine's Day!

"Giri-choco" - what a concept... at least it would be nice if there was some recourse, like how bad kids get a lump of coal from Santa - "I like you/tolerate you" = chocolate: "I dislike you" = coal.

Sorry to hijack this thread a little, but while on the subject of V-day presents, yesterday was the first time in my life after years and years of giving flowers, chocos, cuddly toys, etc... that I was on the receiving end of a V-day present.

She came into my office early in the morning when no one was there and handed me a pink velvet bag with a heart on it. Inside was a small packet of chocolates, a small Hello Kitty doll and a small gift wrapped box which turned out to be a watch! \:D

I guess we are considered to be dating now and insists on having lunch with me every day except when I have official lunch time commitments. She is quite fun to be with but the only problem is that I still don't have those strong feelings for her. She seems too young (am I really saying this?) she is 23 but looks and behaves like a teenager. Whenever I'm with her I feel like I am out with a friend's daughter!

• 4 weeks later...

Am I wrong or is it time to revive this topic? Is March 14 the day in Japan when the girls get their giri chocos from the guys?

If so, come on gals, time to spill it out. What did ya'all get?

Actually, she's still on to me and not letting up at all. This is despite one of those crazy girls from Tokyo whom I talked about earlier (one of Sunrise's friends, the French one called Mariana) paying me a return visit and staying with me over the weekend.

When I told her:"BTW, one of those foreign girls from Tokyo who stayed with me a few months back is coming back to Hong Kong and spending the weekend with me." She showed her disappointment and only answered: "So I guess you won't have time for me this weekend, then."

Mariana left early this morning, and she wasted no time in asking me out for afternoon tea after work today. I just got back from that.

Quote:
Something four-times more expensive than the gift you received
Is that right soubriquet? I had never heard that one. It doesn't sound as scary as the engagement (wedding?) ring being 3 months wages lol.gif