It seems almost every time I call them up to book a flight, the person I spoke to 'last time' (usually 6-12 months previously) has quit/moved on. I don't think I've ever worked with the same staff twice (and I always ask for them).

Is this common I wonder in jobs like that, such high turnover - or perhaps I'm just getting loaded with short termers every time!

I never noticed because I usually just book the cheapest ticket/package I can find online. But with all the superfous extra charges for ordinary "options" and various restrictions, I'm beginning to think that maybe big travel agencies like JTB aren't all that bad when compared to discount operations that may go under any day.

Very common, actually. My good friend is a travel agent and she is constantly complaining about the long hours (sometimes up to 12 hours a day) and shitty wages. Also, they are given impossible sales targets to reach each month and if they make a booking error, it usually comes out of their pay.

They seem to be all similar in the end because the same discount agencies list themselves on the same sites. But I tend to use

http://www.tour.ne.jp/

This site has an English version

http://www.etour.co.jp/en/index.html

But with all the restrictions (train times/seats, delivering tickets at last possible moment, etc.) and extra charges (for specifying reasonable train times, specific accomodation, etc.) I'm beginning to think that big time agencies like JTB aren't all bad. After all the trouble and extra charges, you're not saving much money with the cheaper option and have more hassle. Time and effort is money.

We got out of selling air tickets last year as it is a pain in the a$$.

The wholseller gives agents a net rate (without taxes etc incl), and then you add your own margin.

Most of the bigger agents only add 2,000 - 3,000yen to the tickets and then try and sell them.

There are so many rules and regulations on each ticket, unless you get someone who knows what they are doing you can be in for some nasty suprises.

HIS/ No.1 / Accross etc staff sell a lot of tickets as it is their main business. Pleaces like JTB, Kinki, Nippon Travel etc would rather sell you one of their packages, and most of the staff lack the know how to calculate the taxes, fuel surcharges, stopover fees etc, and so they over quote you to cover themselves.

A friend once went to JTB to get a ticket to Oz. She was quoted 50,000yen on a direct flight, so she paid the deposit. The girl rings back next day and says she forgot to add a "0" and the fare was 500,000yen. So she cancelled, and got her deposit back.

Thing is, and it is worth knowing, that under Japan travel law, once a deposit is paid, you are deeemed have a valid contract with the agent. They cannot change the rates etc without being in violation of your contract and they must offer compensation, or give you the original rate.

Just getting a quote does not create a contract, and the agent is free to change the rate if they want.

>Thing is, and it is worth knowing, that under Japan travel law, once a deposit is paid, you are deeemed have a valid contract with the agent. They cannot change the rates etc without being in violation of your contract and they must offer compensation, or give you the original rate.

Just getting a quote does not create a contract, and the agent is free to change the rate if they want.

Miso, you wouldnt have a copy of that written in Japanese that you could post would ya? Or a link to that maybe?

gg, yes I'm always impressed how they remember me almost instantly after many months.

It must be a depressing job - I know the number of times I change my mind with dates before making a final booking, I'm sure lots of other people are the same.

They have usually been really good the staff at those places in my experience. Just once, last year actually I think I got the newbie who wasn't used to the systems and it was a bit of a mare. I decided to call back and start again with another of the girls.

Quote:
Originally posted by misorano:
the Ministry of Transport (国道交通省).

Every travel agent has a copy in their office.
Miso, it's '国土'交通省、not '国道'

国道= Roads maintained by Japan goverment
国土= Territory, country ground

Nihongo mutsukashi ne \:\)