1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

I wouldn't for the same reason as BPC. Another reason is that dogs eat their own poo and vomit. I guess pigs probably do too but that doesn't put me off bacon.

The emotional conditioning thing really is silly, that's culture for you though. I came home once and started eating some deep fried meat I found in the fridge. Couldn't work out what it was and when I enquired the missus said "Oh...it's whale". At which I got emotionally and irrationally upset. She was surprised that I got angry, after all, it's just meat isn't it.

I did and still do think that eating whale meat is wrong but this is largely the result of cultural conditioning.

What about cannibalism? I'm reading Jared Diamond's book 'Collapse' at the moment, and it has a fair bit about eating other people in it.

There are some members of this forum I wouldn't mind eating if push came to shove.

Its-a-clock,

It is a digenerative disease of the brain that was first discovered in some of the remote tribes of PNG where cannibalism is still prevalent (less so now I believe). You are especially at risk if you eat the brain. So it is kind of the equivalent of BSE except that you catch it by eating your neighbour's brain instead of a beef steak. eek.gif

On that topic, was watching a show today about some autralian lady who stabbed her husband, sliced him and diced him and then cooked him. Apparently she was working at a slaughter house and had her tools hanging above the couple's bed. I would think this should have sent alarm bells ringing in that guy's head...

I kind of think of it this way. Either eat animals without discrimination (don`t just eat the stupid ones and save the cute ones), or don`t eat them at all. I chose the latter.

I don`t have a problem with the idea of people eating dog, but what i DO have a problem with is in Korea, the beat the dogs before they eat them. They believe that the adrenilin released during the beating gives the meat a better flavor.

Quote:
Originally posted by Davo:

I did and still do think that eating whale meat is wrong but this is largely the result of cultural conditioning.
There is a BIG difference between chomping on meat such as dog and horse meat and chowing down Whale meat. Mainly being that Whale is an endangered species which if we continue to farm and kill in the ways that are prevelant in JApan it will completely change the balance of pretty much all things in the sea. Whereas dog and horse are (at present) not endangered and farmed.
By eating whale we are killing off and irrevocably changing our environment for the worse. Dog on the other hand, despite being a squeemish subject for some, doesn`t.