• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A category 5 Hurricane, winds of up to 200mph - 330kph, 9m high storm surge ( N.O is below sea level).

This will be only the fourth '5' storm to hit land in 100 years and apparently is more massive in size than the other 3 (Labour day 1935, Camille 1969 and Andrew 1992).

The experts a calling this a 1 in 500 year storm.

THe French Quarter with historic 18th century buildings will likely be destroyed and N.O will be flooded for months trying to get rid of the water which has high potential to be highly toxic and polluted with sewage, chemicals and oil products. Something like 33% of US domestic oil products originate from the refineries and ports in Louisiana which means in even bigger hike in petrol prices in the USA while those services are severly disrupted.

Inland areas will also be severly hit by this storm, flooding, landslides wind damage.

This is going to be devastating - $50 - $100billion in damage is my estimate, lets hope I am wrong.

SG, any news bout the party? What did you and FF and Davo decide?

I guess its gonna be bout 100billion in damages then - any takers? Got a mail from my mate who lives there whos now in Texas. Seemed he was somewhat smart enough to leave before the rest of the peeps...

Yama - no news about that yet.

Back to the the big spining storm, on CNN one dude has called this storm the 'Asian Tsunami' of Louisana - thats a big call.

On health expert is paticulary worried about the "witches brew" as he calls it , the polluted flood waters which has catastrophic implications.

For reference the 1992 cat' 5 hurricane Andrew wreaked $25 billion in damages.

This could be an eye-opener for Americans if they draw the right conclusions. Seas super-heated through global warming bring a high price, and petroleum products are not something you want to have sitting around anywhere if you can possibly avoid it.

But I expect the voters will be pursuaded it was Iran's fault, or that it was the good Lord's retribution for tolerating gays.

(BTW, there is PM for party talk boys)

I have a couple of mates living in New Orleans, pretty amazing place from what they have said and shown me.

I saw a satellite image that is scary to say the least.

I hope they are OK!!

Ocean, I believe it's caused by the evil terrorists and their weather controlling machine!

Lovely place.

Scary stuff.

"Monstrous Category 5 Hurricane Katrina takes dead aim at New Orleans; direct hit could submerge parts of the city below 25 feet of water and leave over 1 million homeless" eek.gif

The big one in mid October last year was Typhoon Tokage (dont ask me what number it was in the silly system used by the Japan Met agency).

Anyway it had top speeds at the eye wall of 230kph - 140mph, which is cat 4 in the Saffir Simpson scale.

Tokage was a beast of a storm.

Katrina got down graded to a 4, not much consolation.

I think Ocean has already sent him more than a few mails ;\)

Terrible to see what is happening over there. Nature is such an awesome power as we seem to be seeing more and more.

Quote:
Originally posted by snowglider:
The big one in mid October last year was Typhoon Tokage (dont ask me what number it was in the silly system used by the Japan Met agency).
Anyway it had top speeds at the eye wall of 230kph - 140mph, which is cat 4 in the Saffir Simpson scale.
Tokage was a beast of a storm.

Katrina got down graded to a 4, not much consolation.
That is interesting. In my area things still arn't back to normal from that big typhoon

The numbers they use are good. It's just the number of the typhoon in the order that is comes. Better than names I think.

There are some crazy pictures out there of the storm \:\(
 Quote:
Originally posted by rach:
I think Ocean has already sent him more than a few mails ;\)
Indeed. But perhaps the cost of the cleanup and the insurance payouts may ultimately be more persuasive. But let's not forget that the man is a chimpanzee.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
The numbers they use are good. It's just the number of the typhoon in the order that is comes. Better than names I think.
the problem with numbers is they are only relevant in the year in which they happen and are soon forgotten. Every year has a typhoon number 2.
Names are much easier to remember and reference.

Typhoon Tokage brings instant recognition but if you said typhoon #11 of 2004 people will go eh? I dont even know what number Tokage was.
( I just quickly searched and it was actually #20)

I will stick with the world standard.

CNN has some crazy footage of the carnage of Katrina. The superdome in New Orleans nearly lost its roof, 1.3 million homes without power, massive flooding ( 2 story houses under water!), bad news for Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana.

> Do you think someone should tell Bush about global warming.

Looks like the Baltimore Sun is trying to in this editorial. Goddamn anti-American liberal scum that they are.

===============

The worldwide supply chains for oil and natural gas -- already stretched to capacity and vulnerable to the slightest political tremors -- are no less fragile in the face of savage formations of wind and water.

It turns out that if below-sea-level New Orleans has been a national disaster just waiting to happen, so also is the dense concentration of energy production, importing and refining along the gulf coast -- one with concrete national security implications.

The damage and deaths left by this storm naturally touch a nation's heart. But the broader impact of this storm will most likely have to do with oil. And, not tangentially, this is also a story that in part begins with oil dependence.

For the last week, water temperatures in much of the gulf have been higher than average, as warm as 90 degrees. Such warmer waters fuel the formation and ferocity of hurricanes. Warmer oceans are an inseparable by-product of global warming, and it's foolish to ignore the link to the burning of fossil fuels.

In coming days and weeks, if Hurricane Katrina drives further home this nation's Faustian overdependence on oil, it also should highlight the environmental damage that results from that dependence. From oil to oil, this storm -- the fiercest to strike the gulf coast in decades -- should put the spotlight on a vicious cycle in which America has trapped itself.

===============

Amen.

Total carnage, the aftermath is getting worse and worse, CNN has has astounding footage and heartwrenching stories.

New Orleans has one extra major problem, violence and looting by certain members of the population.

The Prez has now decided to cut his holiday short, very noble of him and my drop by Lousiana on Friday, today he was spouting off how the victory in the Iraq war compares to victory in WWII? eh?

what a guy!

Quote:
Originally posted by snowglider:
the problem with numbers is they are only relevant in the year in which they happen and are soon forgotten. Every year has a typhoon number 2.
Names are much easier to remember and reference.

Typhoon Tokage brings instant recognition but if you said typhoon #11 of 2004 people will go eh? I dont even know what number Tokage was.
( I just quickly searched and it was actually #20)

I will stick with the world standard.
This has been my veiw the whole time. ahhh remember that fargin sick waves we got on typhoon 24??? NAH..

And sometimes a typhoon over takes the one in front of it so order doesn't really count.

"When this kind of stuff happens to other folks, we're there. When this kind of stuff happens to us, who's here?"

Well, you're usually there with an aircraft carrier. If not actually bombing, still carrying on with training which can make the host country nervous. Would you like a Russian aircraft carrier in the Gulf of Mexico? And if the National Guard weren't helping spread freedom in Iraq, they could be guarding the nation.

"All I know is a lot of poor folks here got hit here. Would it kill the same foreigners we've helped there, to offer support here?"

I believe President Chavez has offered aid, to poor people in particular, even though Americans have tried to have him removed and call for his murder.

"But I think it a bit rich so few call to wish us well in this country. Perhaps some have and perhaps I've missed it."

Very likely. A lot of people called after 9/11 and then got told they were either for or against America if they didn't sign up for the War on Terror.

But, whatever.