1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

I would have thought the answer "Anyone completely bilingual" would be a winner. An interpreter would certainly make things go more smoothly than looking up key words in a dictionary in that situation...

Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
You could try the British colonial approach. When the natives are too stupid to understand plain English, just shout very loud.
I think usually people in the colonials where U.K approached didn't understand English which was just natural.

Quote:
Not having a strong regional accent helps too. Obviously its not something you can change quickly.
totally agree. Even some Japanese strong accent sometimes makes me confused lol
 Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
You could try the British colonial approach. When the natives are too stupid to understand plain English, just shout very loud.
didn't they just shoot them?

fukdane - yep, I am originally from Osaka, so when I talk with Osaka people, my Osaka ben is still going but when I talk with people from other regions, I don't speak Osaka ben because it sometimes makes them misunderstand something.

But Osaka ben sounds too friendly sometimes which is a bit rude if it's with my customers even when they are Osaka people.

Soubriquet - Ah, I got it. It was just hard for not an English natiave speaker like me to understand it was a joke \:\(

It's difficult holding back all the time hey gamera? I had a fairly strong northern / light-scouse accent when I came here but the scouse part has almost gone now. It soon comes back when I'm in the UK for a few weeks. \:\)

Hum... not really scouser.

I guess probably it's harder for me to explain each and every Osaka-ben when I speak it if people around don't understand them.

I think when I am relaxed and have some Osaka people around - e.g. my family members, brothers, old friends etc - I speak Osaka dialect but if not, I don't speak Osaka dialect.

As to English, I am still on the way to notice each and every dialects. English is just English for me, can notice some differece -pronounciation, intonation whatever but anyway it's not my mother tongue, hard to say \:\(