I have never been to Japan, but read this site with interest. Maybe one day I can go.

I hear a lot about Tokyo, but what about other CITIES? Wheres fun and wheres not?

Cheers

Durst

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh this is an easy one...

What is the only city in japan that has the honorable distinction of being nicknamed "Gakuen-Toshi: Science City"??

Tsukuba

You know you are in for a good time if you live in science city...

How many cities in Japan have a 'Quasi-National Park'?? Tsukuba does...Quasi parks

are the best kind, you know...

How many cities are at the foot of a mountain as intimidating as it is beautiful as Tsukuba-san? only 1 (unless you count tsuchiura), TSUKUBA!

Tsukuba is the perfect blend of state of the art research facilities with your old-fashioned rice field...

forget that there is no train to tsukuba...there is absolutely NO reason to ever leave!

believe it or not, I recently just moved OUT of tsukuba after being here a year...call me crazy, but I felt like I was being spoiled...

come have a look-see for yourself!

danz

Kobe is a great place. Good atmosphere, goo people, good entertainment, foreign community.....

I have only been to Hiroshima once for the predictable tourism.

Sharon - can you tell us more about what makes it a great place?

I've always liked Hiroshima. Thanks to a radical city planning measure in 1945, Hiroshima has a very open-air feeling, with long views to the hills. The system of rivers and valleys is also very attractive.

The entertainment area has some good restaurants and I found a good hole-in-the-ground club playing filthy rap and hip-hop with skanky teeny-boppers. Hiroshima-fu okonomi yaki is verrrr nice, especially at an open-air stall in the summer.

Also, the resorts in Hiroshima got the first snow last season, although after the first few dumps, it didn't seem to get that much.

Access to good resorts, the small town wins, but for year around social/job access to good ski/board shops, Tokyo/Yokohama still wins.

Kobe's a nice place, but too dull if you ask me. Too little choice of nightlife, and especially clubs. The people there seem more concerned about dressing up than having a good time. There are better shops and dining in Osaka too. Kyoto's nicer than Kobe, but the locals (gaijin otaku included) can be stuck up and the climate is harsher. If you want fun in Kansai, Osaka is the place to be. It's a bit hard on the lungs, but you can have a great time. Same goes for Tokyo. Just don't live miles from it all in Chiba or some other relatively cheap but remote location.

Nagoya's more fun than some people make out, and the gaijin there seem a lot less territorial than Osaka gaijin for some reason.

I don't equate nice views with fun (in which case we should be talking villages not cities), but if you want a more favourable environment, Sapporo would be my choice of the smaller places. I've been out there on a Saturday night in the middle of winter and it was still really buzzing.

Checking out for the 1st time in a long while - kinda surprised to see somuch action. Good to be back after a hard few months - personal shIt goin on and the like.

Saitama is by far the best city in Japan!

I love these little hints dropped about lives in turmoil. ii, you should talk to Nat. I've had an 'interesting' year too. Let's hope it all gets settled down in time for next winter, eh?

So Ocean11, still got a job, or are you in turmoil? Seen the web editor job in Matsumoto, 5 mill a year? From the desciption of yer job earlier, wondered if it was yours!

miteyak, I'm self-employed now. Had a bit of swings and roundabouts getting there, but things are settling down nicely now.

I haven't seen the job you mention - where's that then? 5 mil sounds a bit on the low side to me.

I love Matsumoto - Nagano's largest university means plenty of young people, some decent shops, bars and a few clubs.

Theres the best mountain biking I've ever done within 15mins of the city centre, its close enough to Hakuba to commute to the slopes every day in winter if you have an afternoon job (a la Nova), its really central so you can get to most places easily and its just surrounded by mindblowing countryside!

Lived there for a year and loved it!

After that I think it would have to be Tokyo

Nagano is certainly popular - maybe coz of the nature of this site and us who are using it?

I find many Japanese cities to be similar. It's the people in it and the buddies you have that make them special.

Ocean11, it's at Gaijinpot, not a great sal, but sounds like a dossy number, and close to the mountains.

So your self employed, does that mean you don't get payed to write on this forum?