My house has nowhere near enough sockets for electric stuff.

Almost every one I have has to have an extender thing that gives me more.

It annoys.

If I ever design a house, it will have thousands of them.

I just wanted to say that.

:grandpa:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Designed our house with shedloads of sockets for this very problem.   In fact, we still don't have enough....

Holes where alligator's live

Every socket in our place is a double - and we put in more than we ever thought we'd use, and still have power boards in several of them.

You can NEVER have too many power points!

Our house was built as a "besso" so we have the same issue. I HATE..HATE...HATE the electrical system here....100v and absolutely no grounding scheme. Seriously nutty......and third world country level of application. Musicians are plagued by noisy and dangerous gear. It makes playing my old guitar amps extremely dangerous as YOU become the grounding point should you have a short in the amp....That's ~500v at lethal amperage levels. Even with properly working gear the lack of a grounding scheme means getting shocked when you touch your lips to a mic if you are playing a guitar. It totally pisses me off....Thus......I always use a mic sock.

And what REALLY annoys as well is when you buy something and it has a really big brick adaptor that doesn't fit nicely one one of the socket things and/or blocks other ones.

:grandpa:

Yes that drives me nuts too.

Glad it's not just me that gets wound up by this!

Dunno if there's any truth in it, but I've heard its one of the things the assessors look for when calculating the fixed asset tax for a house. Some people fit them and then wallpaper over the hole until the inspection is finished.

Legend has it that the same goes for his and hers sinks, an upstairs toilet, or a video thing on your doorbell.

The room I call my office just has 2 sockets. One is directly into the aircon and the other has a 5 connector thing going on. I need more than that so I have an extension connector thing coming in from another room.

Way too few!

I got one of those multiple things where they are on both sides and spaced out a lot so that the silly power blocks don't waste sockets.

When we renovated, I asked the designer for 8 sockets for the TV area. Turned out we needed 16 for the piddly transformers for modem, decoder, DVD, TV, home theartre, home theater woofer, etc. etc.

No number is enough.

The house we are in now has 2-3 sockets with some of them being triples. Still no were near enough in the lviing room, for our TV, modem, printer, piano, phone, etc, etc.

We are getting our own house built this coming year, so I will make sure it has plenty of sockets in all the rooms and in easy to get to places.

I too hate the shitty electrical system here with no earth and only 100 volts. Very backwards, more like something out of the 50's.

We have a 50 AMP ring main in this house, but because of the crappy way it is wired, if you run a microwave and oven toaster at the same time it will trip the breaker.

Basically the ring main doesn't have enough lines running from it to handle the amperage.

If wired properly a 50 AMP ring main should be more than enough, but it isn't.

That is another thing I shall make sure is done correctly when we get our house built!

Exactly the same situation here Snowdude. We only had a 20 amp service and I had it bumped to 50 and it still blows breakers with the microwave and oven on. Shitty two conductor romex knockoff wire throughout the house with one single ground spike going to the fridge and washer... :shifty: I did run a ground for one socket in my studio room for the amps.

One thing here though....we don't seem to get the wild dangerous spikes/surges they get back home.

As for the sockets.....daisy chain the daisy chains....and get some extra fire insurance. ;)

3 bedroom house, verandahs front (enclosed) and rear, usual other rooms - we have 6 power circuits for the lot.

TV area has 2 doubles and a 6 outlet surge suppressor power board for DVD, TV, etc

Office has 4 doubles, one of which goes direct to a UPS for computer and modem.

Kitchen has a single for fridge, then 7 doubles around the walls.

If you're building a house, unless you insist and pay more to have them buried, they'll dangle the power lines off the corner of your house.

In our case, we buried them, but still had to have our own pole set up on our land. The builder had an old wooden one, so at least ours isn't concrete or painted metal, but it still has the meter and all kinds of conduit and stuff on it that stop it looking like a ye olde telegraph pole. The electrician also put up the satellite dish on top of the pole without taking the fecking stickers off.

I would never have bought a wireless computer mouse had I realized I'd need yet another thing to plug in. I'd rather have a wire from my computer (or the USB hub on my monitor).

If you're building a house, unless you insist and pay more to have them buried, they'll dangle the power lines off the corner of your house.

In our case, we buried them, but still had to have our own pole set up on our land. The builder had an old wooden one, so at least ours isn't concrete or painted metal, but it still has the meter and all kinds of conduit and stuff on it that stop it looking like a ye olde telegraph pole. The electrician also put up the satellite dish on top of the pole without taking the fecking stickers off.

I would never have bought a wireless computer mouse had I realized I'd need yet another thing to plug in. I'd rather have a wire from my computer (or the USB hub on my monitor).

Yes something we will ask about, as I do hate having wires dangling around off the house everywhere. The Japanese seem quite happy with messy wires everywhere.

As for the wireless computer mouse, I too have one, but there is nothing to plug in, just a tiny socket which plugs into the computers USB, is yours not like that?

Either that or you can run it using bluetooth!

Yeah, I didn't get the "plug in" for a wireless mouse, unless it is a recharge station. Seems a waste to me - just a couple rechargable AAA batteries to run the mouse and the tiny dongle in the USB.

• 4 months later...

Dunno if there's any truth in it, but I've heard its one of the things the assessors look for when calculating the fixed asset tax for a house. Some people fit them and then wallpaper over the hole until the inspection is finished.

Legend has it that the same goes for his and hers sinks, an upstairs toilet, or a video thing on your doorbell.

I think that is not right Mr Wiggles.