The Mt Akagi region of Gunma - 15th April 2012

Yesterday my photo assistant ( she is very useful to hold and carry the box ;) ) and I went over into Gunma for a bit of a drive. The idea was to go up to Mt Akagi so off we went. Nice clear skies on either side of the Kanetsu tunnel but once into Gunma proper it was rather hazy. Gunma always seems to be hazy when we go, perhaps just not the best of timing. Anyway it didn't turn out to spoil the day at all.

Akagi is to the north east of Maebashi city and basically between Maebashi and Numata.

We got off the expressway at the Akagi IC and made our way towards the road that goes up the mountain. On the way we came across masses of sakura trees in full bloom and it turned out that it was a very pretty temple in a beautiful setting with a lovely garden and pond as well. It's name is Sangodera 珊瑚寺 (さんごでら) and as I was hoping to get some nice photos today with my new camera I was very excited to find it.

Absolutely beautiful it was and the sakura were in full bloom. A bit more contrasty blue sky and it would have been perfect, but we probably picked the best day of the year to walk around Sangodera.

muikabochi_3629.jpg

muikabochi_3630.jpg

muikabochi_3637.jpg

muikabochi_3631.jpg

muikabochi_3632.jpg

muikabochi_3633.jpg

muikabochi_3634.jpg

muikabochi_3635.jpg

muikabochi_3638.jpg

muikabochi_3639.jpg

muikabochi_3640.jpg

muikabochi_3641.jpg

muikabochi_3642.jpg

muikabochi_3643.jpg

muikabochi_3644.jpg

muikabochi_3645.jpg

muikabochi_3646.jpg

muikabochi_3647.jpg

muikabochi_3648.jpg

• Like 1

Moving on the next place I wanted to see was the Akagi Jinja shrine at the base of the mountain.

There are some massive 1000+ year old cedars here and again it is a beautiful setting. The sakura weren't out here just yet.

muikabochi_3649.jpg

muikabochi_3650.jpg

muikabochi_3651.jpg

muikabochi_3652.jpg

muikabochi_3653.jpg

muikabochi_3654.jpg

muikabochi_3655.jpg

muikabochi_3656.jpg

muikabochi_3657.jpg

muikabochi_3658.jpg

muikabochi_3659.jpg

muikabochi_3660.jpg

muikabochi_3661.jpg

As I was taking this one two young Japanese women were behind me having a good old natter... about me. 'Nihon no bunka totte-iru ne'. Thought it was quite funny, I didn't let on that I knew what they were saying.

muikabochi_3662.jpg

And then it was the ride up the mountain and up to another Akagi Jinja, which is situated on the lake at the top.

The lake was still frozen over and again all looking very pretty. Quite cold too.

muikabochi_3663.jpg

muikabochi_3664.jpg

A local wanting the temps to rise

muikabochi_3665.jpg

muikabochi_3666.jpg

muikabochi_3667.jpg

muikabochi_3668.jpg

muikabochi_3669.jpg

muikabochi_3670.jpg

muikabochi_3671.jpg

muikabochi_3672.jpg

---

All in all a fabulous day. I really like Gunma more and more as I get to explore more of it, lots of beautiful places to see.

:thumbsup:

Superb!

I know Akagi but not that other temple... must get there looks really good.

I can't really compare with other areas but in spring and summer there are many hazy days. Autumn and winter are the best chances of really clear conditions.

Very nice indeed, some of them almost look like they are popping out of the screen!

Is it the cool depth of field that's doing that? Or just general tight sharpness?

They look fab whatever.

How long does it take you to get there from Minamiuonuma?

Oops, I have just noticed that I didn't save some of them at the 100% quality setting, looks like it was 95%.

:doh:

Still learning new settings.

Gg, takes probably less than an hour to that first temple from home, a further 15 mins or so to the second one and then another 30minutes to get up top.

Gg, takes probably less than an hour to that first temple from home, a further 15 mins or so to the second one and then another 30minutes to get up top.

You guys really are close hey, it's only the big long tunnel that seperates us.

I asked my friends about the temple. Apparently it is very beautiful in autumn as well.

I just love walking round temples and shrines like those in the photos here.

Another two to add to the list of ones I want to go to.

Looking forward to going to Nikko as well sometime soon, I'm sure I'll love it there.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

I really like Nikko as well, defintely a place you should go if you can.

I want to get there in peak of autumn, though the congestion on the roads at that time of year that always seems to make the news looks scary!

It's actually not that big a journey either and a really nice ride through Numata, past Marunuma and Chuzenjiko.

• 4 months later...