How long does it take you to recover from jetlag?

It seems to take me ages. I came back from the UK about 6 days ago now and my sleeping is still screwed up and I'm tired. \:\( Am I the only one?

for me its a mental thing.

i got over jetlag from canada (east coast so its 12 hrs difference) really quickly the last time i came back from there. it seems to me that I can be jetlagged for aslong as I want if I go to bed at 4 in the afternoon everyday.

i just push myself to stay up, and i recover really quickly. i guess im younger than most of people here, so it might be a bit different.

A doctor friend in Canada told me after my very first Japan trip that for every hour of time change it takes one day to recover....

So West coast of Canada to Japan 17 hrs diff = 17 days to feel 100% or "Zero" effect again... seemed about right for me but then I'm a old fart...

Amanda is right though... I usually force myself to stay up and then sleep only at the new time zones schedule not the one I just came from...

My .02

Yeah, the 12 hour ones are the worst and usually take at least a week. Anything more than that is actually better, cos a 20 hour time difference is actually only 4 hours difference in the other direction.

I usually make a trip every year to Ottawa in the Summer (exactly 12 hours)and I have never gotten used to the time lag each year.

i find getting use to jetlag ie flying TO canada is alot easier than coming back. by the time youve flown the 30 hours it takes to get to nova scotia you are so knackered you sleep really well. normally get over it in a few days.

• 3 weeks later...

The secret is to stay drunk the whole time you are travelling, that way your body doesn't know what the hell is going on anyways, and is just stoked to finally get some sleep.

In the psychology class that I recently took, the text said that your body really only clocks back 15 minutes every night. The stimulus for setting you clock is light, and since all of your skin cells are photosensative, that is light on any part of your body. Some dedicated travellers will actually shine a light on their foot for a few weeks before they travel, in order to dial their clocks back a few hours.

• 1 year later...

oh man, i got back from tokyo on friday afternoon and ive been sleeping really terribly. i have managed to get myself sick (sore throat, headache, nausea) and it is killing me that i cant sleep when i feel like i need it most.

I find the sheer glamour of flying half-way around the world to be a tremendous aphrodisiac and that a good shag is required as a matter of urgency soon after landing. This focus on sexual gratification seems to take the edge off the jetlag which then only remains as residual tiredness for a day at most.

I just got back from three weeks in Akita (12 days boarding - ahhh fresh snow) and I have been suffering from jet lag as have the kids (up at 4.30 am) but as bagofcrisps says, the jet lag is nothing compared to being back in dreary-expensive-late train-snowless London.

Quote:
Originally posted by grungy-gonads:
I don't know if you're joking there Ocean11, but strangely I feel really horny after a long journey as well. Even more than normal. lol.gif I wonder why that is. Feel knackered as well, but.
Ah, the old 'Rock Star' phenomenon ... long plane flight, nothing to do but drink lotsa alcohol, talk lotsa shit, perve on the skirts, get a good dose of radiation from the altitude = libido in overdrive. cool.gif

Personally, after long haul flights, I don't go to sleep at the destination until it is normal bedtime. So, if the flight gets in at 5am, I don't sleep until that night. That way the body clock is not affected and normal sleep patterns continue.

It seems to work and therefore allows more time spent enjoying on-snow activities.

The thing that does affect me the most is change of daylight hours - going from summer days to winter day hours. But that's usually rectified by a daily itinerary of skiing, a few beers, good meal, some more quiet ones in a pub/bar, a japanese bath, and no-less-than (7) hours sleep.

Bliss! \:\)

Later,

SZ.

It usually takes 4 days or so for me to get back to normal when I go back home, but that is more than likely because its my body just exhausted and not used to the concept of resting so it goes all strange.