Why oh why do I have to pay 105 yen to get my own money out of my bank on a weekend. And after 7pm. And why are most of them closed from 7pm until 9am, and at the weekends.

It really gets on my nervers. I was just wondering what others thought. Back in the UK, ATMs are open 24 hours, and no cost.

exactly. what's the point of an atm if it isnt open 24-7? i've heard it's for security or something, but couldn't they just have it where you have to swipe your card to get in? and why does your own bank charge you to use their machines? so annoying!!! mad.gif

Bank charges here make me mad.

On Saturday night on one of the Broadcaster programs (I think thats what it was called), they were talking about bank charges and told how you can go into one bank and ask for 100 yen to be changed - and it'll cost you 200 yen to do that!! HA!

nekobi - we have that kind of security over here in some places. You have to swipe your keycard to get into a little room with the ATM's in it. There is one problem though - you can swipe pretty much any plastic card and the doors will open. I went through my wallet seeing what cards would open them. Most of them did including my drivers licence, TAFE (college) card, PADI card - just to name a few!

Pretty average "security" system! I'm sure it could be done better though!

I am happy to pay a bank charge if in return I am given a service that allows me to never carry cash, buy anything anywhere with a swipe of a card and if I want cash I can get it over the counter/from the cash register from petrol stations, corner stores or any ATM from any bank on every corner in a consumer area.

Does this sound like Japan? Am I happy paying bank charges in Japan?

I heard that ATM's in Japan are shut during those times when it is unreasonable/un-economical to have a human working. Labour unions (don't we love them) are protecting the welfare of the retail bank worker. These machines could take over you know, so we better not let them get popular.

As a counterbalance, I do appreciate being able to pay all my bills at any conbini. That makes life easier.

A bank employee student of mine once told me that if a customer went to the ATM @ midnight and there was no money left in the machine...what would they do??

when you sit back and watch while in the line, I (who is GAIJIN & not fluent in KANJI) can do a furikomi transaction with more ease than most japanese people who usually require the service of the Baba/Jiji bank employee!

Why is that? Sometimes when I'm waiting in line, people do seem to take AN AGE to get things done. What are they doing? Their yearluy accounts of something?

Im guilty of taking ages sometimes. I never carry my passbook so every half a year or so the bank sends me something to say I have to stick my book in and get it updated. It takes ages.

I broke one of the machines once too. I was really skint so got all the piles of loose change round my house and took it to the atm. youre only supposed to put in 100 coins at a time so I put in a handful (Ive got small hands) but after a few times nope, too many and the machine busted. The people came and opened it up and pulled out some stuff, saftey pins, currency other than yen and some drink tokens oops. It took ages and I felt pretty stupid and the other people waiting werent too impressed... Ill take it to the counter next time

ok, my bank story...in japan day 2 go to the bank to change US$100. ask the rate and the the dude mistakenly quotes me the wrong rate and offers me a couple of hundred yen extra, so i says yeh, gonna get me some bonus dough...so he fills some forms by hand, then gets me to fill one in, name address phone number?? i was changing cash confused.gif so then he goes away and brings me the correct amount of money, not what he quoted and wrote on the forms, so i say (in good gaijin manner) thats not what u quoted me give me my $100 back. so after some trauma i get my dough back so i can search for a extra 10 yen at some other bank...sorry story still going...next day i return to the pad i was stayin (family of my best mates ex japanese girlfriend, we were friends too) and the father comes up to me and asks why i have been causing trouble at the bank. then tells me if im going to cause trouble i can go home. apparently the bank had called him to complain about my unruly behaviour. since then me and banks have known where we stand with each other.

ATMs are only second to ichi ens in my hate book. the rationale behind the closing times mystifying, as with beer and ciggy machines, closed when needed most confused.gif mad.gif confused.gif