One of my friends came to visit for a couple of weeks last year. He's a triathlete and after a few days he was iching to get to a pool. I sent him to the local gov one just down the road from my house cos it's only 300yen a shot. I didn't give him a swimming cap cos his hair is only about 3mm long. Anyway this is what happened to him:

Walked into the pool area. Was sent back out to buy a swimming cap.

Came back in with a swimming cap and dived off the side into the water. Was called out of the water and told diving was not allowed.

Climbed into the pool. Swam a length, turned and was called out of the pool again. Turning was not allowed.

Climbed back into the pool, swam a length, stopped, turned, swam to the other end of the pool and was called out again. Each lane was only for swimming in one direction. Was told he had to get out of the pool at the end of each length. Walk to the next lane, climb in again.

He gave up and came back.

Snowglider, why don't you try a couple of your local JHS's? Offer to spend an hour or so with the school swim club in exchange for being able to stay on in the pool after to swim yourself. You might have more luck at the private schools.

Hotel pools are usually pretty empty too but I don't know how you would get to use one of those regularly. It's messed up. There are so many pools in Japan, half of them are empty and no-one can get access and the other half are standing room only.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hotel pools are as you say often empty as they charge ludicrous amounts to go in there. Some might offer a decent "season pass" though which would make it more acceptable.

lol.gif have had all but the "one-way lane" experience, me jane, and my hair is usually razored to 0mm. I've managed to make friends with a few guards who now look the other way about the cap thing when the manager isn't there.

To add. . . I was wearing a necklace and once the guard wanted me to take it off. When I couldn't because it was permanently tied around my neck and too tight to get past my big mouth, they made me tape it to my neck. Still puzzling over that one confused.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
me jane, thats pretty much the case in many places.
One way lanes so people usually go under the rope into the next lane.
To have to get out is a headscratch.
Yep, we couldn't figure it out either. Actually I missed a bit out of that story - he did try ducking under the rope to the next lane but got told he had to get out.

Boy do I miss our local outdoor pool for summer. It was 120 yen, so I'd go there twice a day for a dip in the heat, in the middle of a park filled with trees.

They do have another pool nearby, indoor, with glass that opens out in summer to make it part outdoor, but, with all that music and 420 yen a pop it's just not the same and though I love swimming I find I just don't swim so much here. As already said above, too many rules - I want to swim with pool buoy, flippes, hand thingies , etc.... can improvise the pool buoy, but flippers (only to loosen up the ankles) seem to be a no go, maybe okay some places but not mine. And don't even think of wearing even a tiny piece of jewellery - no way.... not allowed...

One way lanes - you just dive under the ropes to the adjacent lane for the way back, still a hassle, but what's this "walking" to the next lane stuff? Sounds crazy...

I hate the 10 min break too.... "swimming is a dangerous sport"!

Okay, I think I'm done with my rant.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
I'm just starting up swimming this month in prep for my surf trip to Indo...
Sweet, very jealous. When you off? What points you hitting?
Just had a dive yesterday morning in Tateyama (Chiba) was kind of working but saw some rays also while down there. Perk of the job is spending nearly all summer in the water and on the beach. Nothing like having a snorkel or dive over a reef or ledge. Its seriously a different world down there and still so much we don`t know.

> Its seriously a different world down there and still so much we don`t know.

agreed. on this planet underwater is still the last remaining/unexplored realm by far.

Just did 2K in the pool on my lunch break. I love getting paid to work out \:D \:D \:D

Last year you could use the pool (although not lane pool0 at the Akasaka Prince Hotel for 1000 yen awesome deal I thought for mid. Tokyo (and you can keep the towel)- Enjoy if they have it going again this year

I usually do 10 laps (500 meters) as a warm up and then do 20 laps at a good pace doing different types of work outs depending on how my body feels. Then another 10 laps to cool down. That work out that I did the other day took 40 mins. I stop after my warmup and after my work out before my cool down to catch my breath and clean my goggles.

Open water swimming Maori? Im so jealous \:\( thumbsup.gif Thats the only real way to swim IMO. I love open water swims, minus sharks of course.

I remember one time I was swimming at Ala Moana. The water isnt as beautiful there as other places in Hawaii but still not bad. My goggles were a bit fogged up and I mustve just been in a zone but I ran smack into a big turtle. It scared the shite outta me eek.gif \:o eek.gif

I think I ran on the water to the beach and was lookin around frantically cuz I honestly thought it was a shark...got a better look at the bugger and realized there were two of them. Took me bout 10 mins to get back in but finished out my swim.

Right now Im satisified with 2K in 40 mins. But at some point Id like to get closer and closer to my PRs for a mile and 2.2 mile swims. Dont think doing them in the pool would count though.

You used to be able to see lots of turtles in Hawaii. Dunno bout nowadays though. Turtles and Dolphins galore there Bushy...prob no different from parts of Oz though eh? Would love to head back to oz sometime and to N.Z. too \:\)

Just did 2K in the pool again. Sunny outside, clear water, only me in my birthday suit and 2K...sweet! ;\)

Does anybody elses nose itch like crazy after swimmin or is it just me? chlorine...

Yep! After swimmin in a chlorinated pool it does for about 3 hours! Wreaks havoc on my sinus system!

Turtles I haven't seen in my parts of Aus CB. dolphins, seals, whales yes, but no turtles.

problem is that you also get it in your nasal/sinus system. Ever get the gush a few hours after a surf? Bend over to pick something up and the trapped salt-water comes gushing out? I get that sometimes. It is quite funny when you are with mates, but not when you are out somewhere! lol.gif