Anyone else here a swimmer in Japan......are you like me and highly frustrated???

Swimming is such a patience thinning frustrating experience here. Obasans get in the fast line and breaststroke, people standing at the end of the pool wait for you to just get to the end and then take off right in front of you! and you have to stop because they are super slow....so frustrating!argh!

livid.gif

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking same kamoshika and oblivion!!

I often go swimming, there are few good swimmers. I feel pity when I see many guys trying to swim but don't move so fast and they can't keep swimming long distance.

But I have to say OK about many obasan swimmers.

Because one of them must be my mom! I'm very impressed by my mom started learning swimming!!

what about the 10 minute break every hour!?!? i usually need at least an hour to do the workout i want, but i can only get 50 minutes in at a time. EVERYONE must get out of the pool. so crazy.

luckily, my school has an outdoor pool. so in the summer, i can use it after i finish classes. it was so nice last summer- can't wait for it to open this year.

Same rule as my swimming pool!

I don't like I have to get out of the pool every hour either. But after 6pm they change the rule.

So I always go there after work.

Parents take their kids to a swimming school is popular in Japan. And we have to learn swimming in the elementary school.

How do you learn swimming in your country?

I used to swim in a club every am for a few hours before school in OZ so yes i love swimming

BUT

Here, nah mate, its a frikkin joke!

Take my paddles...... DAME..ABENAI!

Fins....DAME..ABENAI!

pity that they didn't notice that the OLDIES are ABENAI and should be DAME or at least stick to the lane that they should be in the SLOW lane!

Then they always stick the fast lane next to the wakling lane, that causes some crazy ass currents too.

and the 6-10 mins break every hour. nice build up of lactic acid in the middle of a work out.. ??

I wait for the outside pool to open and they are less hitler like and blow their whistles less if not never at me!

no wander there are no Thorpies, hacketts etc here!

i dig crazy currents \:\)

the rivers hardly flow most places back home, so swimming in some gnarley current is most enjoyable for me. i especially like the challenge of getting out in difficult places.

i dont swim in pools, but protect me on snow forum, the perfect day for me is

3 swims!!! mainly for the natural beauty. if i could lose my deep seated guilt, a day ripping powder would reign supreme, but alas i am me so,

3 swims... aaah sweet. cool.gif

• 3 years later...

found a thread on swimming \:\)

Had my first swim of the season today. Swam 1500 meters. Not long but wanna see how I feel tomorrow since this is my first day out. For me, its just as exciting as my first ski of the season. I love swimming. I always have and always will. From ocean (open) water swims in Hawaii like the Waikiki rough water swim to Hamada beach in Shimane, to Kochi (Shikoku), to the pool. Swimming is one of the most enjoyable sports in the world for me.

I dunno if its because Im a water sign but I have always loved being in water - and always feel at home in the water, even in huge waves like 15 foot surf. Id be lying if I said I wasnt scared but never felt it was outta my league or I wasnt in my element.

Is swimming the best sport in the world? Id say yes. You get a full body work out without any impact. Never feel overly dehydrated or overheated afterwards. More importantly, I always feel like Im on top of the world after a swim. It completely clears my head up, relaxes my body, and recharges my battery.

Its too bad my pool at school is seasonal but Im glad I have a pool all to myself \:D \:D \:D

Anybody else feel the same way about swimming?

damn straight! i love it. there's nowhere i'd rather be than in the water - and i'm an air sign so go figure? underwater is what i love best - my mom taught me to swim underwater first so that i wouldn't be afraid to put my face in. nothing quite like the peacefulness and other-worldly floaty feeling of being underwater (well, nothing else - naturally induced - that i've experienced anyway)

i think it's cause i grew up around it. but yeah, definitely anywhere, anytime, big waves, no waves.

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
found a thread on swimming \:\)
yeah its my old one!

Swimming is great, Japanese pools are not so great, I just quit my gym so I have no instant access to that pool now, its a shame.
Scuba diving is the best, dont do that enough anymore.
Go figure about water, I am a fire sign.

I wonder if David Blaine feels the same way about water these days after spending 8 days straight in it and becoming severely desquamated?

dubya-sinking.gif

I remember the Piano Hotel in Kiroro has a nice 50m pool which isn't crowded. Also there is a huge wave pool in Tomamu. CB, did you ever check those out? You'd probably love them.

I'm just starting up swimming this month in prep for my surf trip to Indo... Just starting out doing 3 x 500 ( intervals) to get these arms into some long paddling.

After returning, I might swim in the outdoor pool during summer (July/Aug) as no one is there mid week and it only costs 200 yen! Also I can imporve my tan!

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
Still thinkin bout joinin a sports club for about 10,000 yen/month...
I was going to do that but most still hit you for 200-300 yen each visit on top of the monthly fee. Also most private health clubs I've been to have hardly any free weights..
Our locals city gyms have dropped in price from 2000 yen a month to 1600yen a month! 20 times a month = 80yen per time! clap.gif

damn thats cheap. Freakin Ashiya prices sux thumbsdown.gif

The club fee is set, no add charges/each use, so thats not too bad at least. nice 25 meter pool, free weights, brand spankin new machines...

but cant beat that price you have eek.gif