Do you go to local izakayas often?

I have one fairly near me that does a killer yakiniku and "jambo aburage". Fun people too.

Always a good time to be had.

Ace!

I love Izakayas. BOC they are basically a kind of restaurant where people go after work or just whenever to drink big handles of beer or chu-hai and eat food. They usually have a huge menu of all different types of food in small servings so you order heaps of them. Service is usually pretty quick and you just keep ordering as you go.

I love Izakaya!!

In fact, it is easily one of my favorite things about Japan...it combines booze, good food, and good company! I love the atmosphere...I wish they had these type of establishments back home!

danz

yep, they are pretty good. I find that they are an interesting aspect of Japan that lets the non-japanese types (like me) get out and about in a casual manner.

But by christ I miss having a corner pub (and one on every corner) with a pool table and a random chance of cute chicks hanging at the bar on a staurday arvo.

I can never work out some places seem really reasonably priced and others really expensive - and they LOOK the same to me (and taste pretty similar). Maybe I'm missing something, but generally I really dig them.

While izakaya have a great range of delish food, I never get full enough to stop eating. Those tasty little dishes never come quite fast enough to create the tsunami of food that I need to get full, and all of it tends to get washed away like so much flotsam and jetsam in the great swell of dai-jokki that gets consumed.

One of the major reasons I started to learn to read Japanese was so that I could order with a flourish from the izakaya menu. (I once went out to an izakaya with a Canadian couple who had been in Japan for years but who had never tried dote-yaki and lots of other favourites. All they ever had was ebi-furai until that point. Sad really.)

I always find the bills get quite big without you really realising it. Before you know, it's cost a fortune. Another 3 beers! 4 more yakitori etc etc. Abunai!