Regarding the making of a film. $64mn for 16 minutes of footage. Sure, the film as a whole will probably turn a big profit. But jesus, what an indulgent world we seem to live in.

"Even more spectacular is a furious 16-minute freeway chase featuring car-crushing agents, a gun fight atop a speeding truck and computer ghosts. It was filmed on a specially built road in a Californian naval base, and reputedly cost $US64 million and destroyed 110 vehicles."

Matrix.

And of course, the story line itself may not have been crafted at such lavish expense, making all that money spent an even greater waste.

I don't know why these Hollywood movies don't begin to follow the Roman precedent. Instead of executing felons, they could sell them to the studios for snuffing in action sequences. It would surely appeal to the vanity of the criminals themselves, they might survive with just a maiming, and it would be a good way of making the execution public as a warning to others. (This is a little tangential to db's point I fear.)

However much they spend, car/chase scenes rarely look any better than the last, and get pretty tedious after a minute or two.

An exception would have to be 'Ronan', or even 'the Italian job'. Edge of the seat stuff, and I swear they just stuck a few mini cameras around tarted up scrap cars each time...

Quote:
Originally posted by NoFakie:
At least it's better than spending money on real violence and destruction....
What about using the money to build a road where it's needed, and then turning it over to the community afterwards...

Lets face it though, 64 million dollars aint what it used to be... \:D

It has got people talking about the film. If you consider all the publicity they'll get for nothing, it may be worth more than 64 million dollars of advertising.

Hollywood films have so much product placement (sneaky advertising) now that I wouldn't be surprised if Chrysler had said "Just smash up 90 Fords and leave our car the winner. We'll give you 10 mill." eek.gif

How about this...

Hollywood films in Basra, builds new super highway from the port to the city, uses local Iraqis for labour...

A years worth of CNN/ Fox news human interest stories right there...

matrix turns around local economy...

matrix saves young Iraqis extended family from starvation...

Talking of which, it's interesting how a little Iraqi boy who had his family/two arms blown away by the AmBrits seems to have become some sort of heroic mascot for the alliances humanitarian efforts... (sorry, off topic...)

Quote:
Originally posted by miteyak:
How about this...

Hollywood films in Basra, builds new super highway from the port to the city, uses local Iraqis for labour...

They'd never do it cos they wouldn't want to risk cancer or future birth defects from all the depleted uranium that's now going to be hanging around there for the next few million years. oops, that's probably off topic also...

$64 million for 16 mintues is just crazy.

But the bottom line is that movies (well, Hollywood movies) are made by a group of people to make money. They aren't made to to help out third world countries or anything else to help our fellow man. They want to make a nice profit for themselves.

I enjoy all those pretty looking expensive scenes in movies, and the new Matrix movie seems to have that in spades.

yes I would prefer to see the movie on the big screen but for the price difference of two ppl seeing the movie (and travelling to a theatre) I can watch it on my TV through my computer and drink a crate of beer.

Unlike music I dont really care about movie quality - ill listen to music over and over but generally only watch a movie once or at most twice. (unless its a ski vid)

Aquiring a decent 32 " wide screen TV, DVD and surround sound pretty much evens out all the quality issues home vs cinema. Throw in the price, comfort and convenience factors and you'll never hit the cinema again.

Umm, well normally if it is some little movie I don't mind watching it on my computer...BUT THE MATRIX??? Are you kidding me? That has to be seen in the theater! And also, humans make money...it's not like a natural resource that is being depleted to make these movies.