What internet security/anti virus do you use?

Symantic on computer one and trying "AVG" Anti virus and "Zone Alarm"on computer two, the latter are free and seem to be eqaul to symantic.

as far as computer laws I am sure nearly most of us could get busted for infringing some "computer law"

Is there anyone out there totally squeaky clean with 100% valid software etc?

ender, does the hardware firewall protect you when you're downloading p2p? I checked out one being offered by NTT (for 16,000 yen), and the ditz on the phone didn't even know what p2p was. An engineer on the phone mailed me later and told me that wasn't covered. If yours does, what are you using. I get tired of downloading updates with Antivir, but I'm damned if I'm going to pay for virus software... (I'm a virus myself, let's not forget).

I have no AV protection at all. The firewall only protects from direct attacks...which by the way are incredibly easy if anyone has a motive. When everyone decided it would be a good idea to get broadband they left the door wide open to hackers looking for a place to cause trouble. It is a little bit better in Japan because all the ISPs seem to use PPPoE. Because of this the computers are not connected at all times and the IP address switches more often. (PPPoE = dial up DSL)

BTW I use a very popular Linksys BEFSR41 gateway/router/firewall.

The most common attacks are simple FTP tagging - so if you run an ftp server make sure you dont allow anonymous access or much of it at least.

As for viruses... By far the most common virus infections come from email. Just don't open unknown attachments and you knock out like 95% of the chance of getting infected. I could be more careful but virus software is a freakin hassle. I'll do a web scan for worms if I have a system that lasts more than 6 months on the same install. But those are mainly harmless anyway.

enderzero, you always give me the impression you are very much a techhead....is that so? (I'm only jealous - I wish I knew much more about what I was doing on my PC, I'm sure I might be shocked if I knew more)

r45 - I have been really into computers and technology for a while. I worked in the computer industry since high school (when I work \:D ) and it is one of my main hobbies. So I guess you would say yeah. Just something I am really interested in.

I'm gonna be really untrendy here and say I actually feel ok about paying for the complete symantec security.

I'm not a tech dude, and the fairly small price it costs to feel secure (re virus, internet security) is worth it in my mind.

Even though there might be some free things out there, I don't think I'd have quite the same peace of mind using them.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else here feel that the junk mail people are getting more and more devious all the time.... the way the subject lines and the "from" is written. Makes me angry, clogging up my mail software. mad.gif