I dunno how new it is, but based on some recommendations from the old thread, I've really been enjoying Built to Spill (carry the zero - what a great track!), Doug Martsch, and David Gray.

Open to more of the same sort of thing if anybody has any recommendations...

Wow Ocean! That is awesome! Had you heard of them before? Agreed, Carry The Zero is just about my favorite track.

There is a bunch of new music coming out in the next few weeks or just recently. I am a bit detached here in Japan, but I know there is new Deftones, Godsmack, Staind, Third Eye Blind, Radiohead, Jack Johnson, Live, & Gang Starr all dropping soon.

Lately I have been listening to a lot of Jimmy Eat World, Ben Harper's new one, John Mayer, Counting Crows, Pearl Jam's Riot Act, and some trance.

Speaking of music Enderzero gimme back my MDs!

I got some stuff of a kiwi band called Rhombus and it kicks ass. Strangely in the last year or so my music tastes have gone from more trance/ clubby stuff to more guitar/band-ish stuff. Very broadly speaking of course. Im wondering if its because I go to clubs/raves a lot less than I used to or if there is another reason.

Last week I was listening to the new Prefuse 73 album, "One Word Extinguisher". Bought the new Prince Paul album yesterday ("Politics of the Business"), but haven't listened to it yet.

Heheh, got Kazaa fired up again and suckin' hard on that pipe...

enderzero, no, I'd never heard of them. They've got some good witty lyrics and the guitar is an interesting mix of folk, rock and blues.

Just a Little Lovin by Irfane clap.gif

It hasn't been released yet, probably due to problems clearing the copyright on the Sarah Vaughan sample that forms the chorus, but it has been caned by Gilles Peterson on his radio show and is available on mp3 via file sharing. Sarah Vaughan died in 1990 and so is not around to give it the all-clear.

The track chops and syncopates the sample and adds a funky b-line so that it sounds like a French house track. It's really infectious.

zwelgen - I gave them to barok when I moved because I was under the impression you would pick them up when you picked up my seasons pass (which I lost 1000 Yen on). So anyway, he has them in Niigata now. Sorry.

s_f - haven't checked it out. I'll do that.

Goemon - Prince Paul is a funny mofo. I only have Psychoanalysis but I wouldn't play that around my mother. How is the new one?

Enderzero: Still haven't cued up the new Prince Paul on the 1200s yet; I'll let you know. Lotsa good guests on it though, so I'm tingling with anticipation.

I've got "Pyschoanalysis" too, but don't feel comfortable playing it in mixed company; "You mothertruckers are all alike."

I don't know who's sicker: Prince Paul or Kool Keith?

Kintaro - I never quite know how to describe it. I guess it's kinda pop, a lot of it with a strong world flavour. If you like people like Peter Gabriel and Sting you'll like it, though it doesn't really sound like them. I don't know if that's your kinda thing, but hey, that doesn't mean it's not good music ;\)

I'm also involved in another project with a DJ and a Japanese musician/arranger/composer. If you like Chill Out/Deep House, we have a song coming out on an album that's getting released on the 26th. The album's called Real Ibiza VI and the record label is React. I think it's a UK label.

There's 2 CDs of chillout & 1 CD of remix. Our song is called It's U, and we were lucky enough to get on both albums - the chillout and the remix. The remix sounds cool (almost nothing left of the original song!!!) Oh yeh, the name of our little combo is Ambrozia (not to be confused with another band called Ambrosia).

This may sound like tripe, but in tribute to her recent death I've been pretty much listening to Nina Simone.....

Any of you guys who don't know her I'd advise a trip to a rental shop.

Nina Simone-fantastic!

For a more contemporary twist, some reworkings of her tunes are on the Verve Remixed compilation (recommended!) that came out last year. In case you're thinking "remixes? oh god no, trance", they were done by MAW and Joe Clausell, both skilled producers of heavily jazz/latin influenced deep house (among other things). The originals are those tunes are great, but in this case so are the remixes.

Sunrise, thanks, brah! I will for the first time in a long time BUY (rather than download) your CD. I'm a big music fan and super willing to support a member of this forum..what are your distribution channels?

BTW- my father was the drummer for Steve Miller waaay back in the day...Chubby Checker b/f that.