• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not too sure what you mean Ayumi-chan. Are you talking about our perceptions of Japan before we came here and whether they have changed or not since our arrival?

Keep going at the English girl! fighto fighto! ;\)

Well, to be honest, before i came here I really didny know diddly squat about Japan apart from where it was, the fact that everyone here likes karate and the fact that you all eat raw fish and rice for every meal.

I guess my perceptions were right then no? lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Well, to be honest, before i came here I really didny know diddly squat about Japan apart from where it was, the fact that everyone here likes karate and the fact that you all eat raw fish and rice for every meal.

I guess my perceptions were right then no? lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

I know what you mean.

I didnt expect there to be such large areas of forest. Cant comment on areas South of Sendai but north of it, if the ground is flat its used for rice fields - if its not it is forest.

At home in NZ we use alot more of our land for primary production - forestry, farming etc.. even if it is hilly.

The general perception of Japan for forgners is mainly based on big cities.

Interesting question! General myths I believed before I came here...

- Foreigners are uncommon and are a surprising sight to most japanese people

- Japanese people are quiet and reserved

- Everything in Japan is efficient

- The elderly are revered and treated with respect

- Everything is expensive

- Japanese people are short

- All Japanese food is healthy

- There are square watermelons in Japan (i'm still looking) lol.gif

I used to believe that Japanese life was carried on with great ceremony and regard for complicated etiquette. The correct angle of the bow and all that.

I also had the belief that hygiene was highly prized. However, some of the most appalling kitchens I've ever seen, anywhere, have been Japanese.

Also I didn't realize that geisha were quite so few and far between.

Most of what Sparkles said applies to where I live - except for the efficency thing of course! Who the hell made that one up eh! :rolleyes:

The thing that no one tells you is that rural and urban are so different. Whenever I go to Tokyo or Osaka I feel like Ive gone overseas for the weekend. Its cool \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
I also had the belief that hygiene was highly prized
I am still reeling from the realisation that this is a myth. And what a myth it is... a real doozy.

I too believed that one had to be careful about being rude to Japanese people otherwise they would give you a karate chop in the windpipe and then embed you in the pavement with a savage judo throw. I now know that this is far more likely to happen in England...

I also entertained some quaint fantasies about Japanese management favouring consensus building and workforce input.

The fact that women don't wear yukata more often came as a crushing disappointment, as did the revolting drabness of the cities.

The sanitary issue is a huge one. Public bathrooms without soap are against the law in my country.

A lot of people think all Japanese television is endurance shows where people emerge themselves in vats of honey and then lay in ant hills.

I thought more sake would be consumed.

ummm...actually having trouble coming up with too many. I have overall been completely happy with my experience in Japan, especially Tokyo (no offense to my Nagano friends but that city is just boring). I am leaving here in under three weeks and I know will miss it more than I now miss home. I don't think I will be able to stay away.