• 1 month later...
 Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:

Pana NVGS70K, tiny little wigga, wide angle and filter fit on in my water housing and bring on the surf vids!
I just bought this video camera today (after 2 weeks of intensive research :p ), and Indosmn certainly knows the way foward! this camcorder rocks! Seriously if you are looking to buy a decent MiniDV camcorder this one is the go.

Bought it from the internet. Indosnm gave me a heads up on a Japanese website kakaku.com which lists the cheapest prices of dozens of internet retailers in Japan.

Next day delivery, C.O.D , so some shark running away with my cash was never a problem.

Indo, where did you get the waterproof housing. I searched for it but I do not think they make any for my average camera. Cant remember what brand it is, will have to check. None the less, my younger brother recently emails me asking for me to get him some water proof stuff for his panasonic. Cant find that either. The lucky prick is off to work on a surf charter boat in Sumatra.

As for gadgets: I am not really the gadget type. If I get a gadget, I usually forget that I own. I did manage to replace my digital camera and video that where stolen. It is nice to have those gadgets back again. Good on mr.insurance.

My stolen mobile phone also has surfaced. A police station in Yokohama contacted me and advised that they have it..... 8 months after the theft. They will not send it to my local police station for me to collect, I have to go to Yokohama. I doubt I will bother.

Db, I bought the housing here about 4-5 years ago. Its the panasonic standard deal, designed for a specific camera but now i can actually use my new camera in it with a wide angle which you need for surfing. these cases cost about 35,000 -40,000.

Next step is a custom housing made in Oz, costs about $1500. drawbacks with the pana housing is that in the sun they do form condensation on the inside within 30 mins. I had alot of trouble with mine in the Mentawais & other parts of Indo. Your bro is headed that way? lucky bugger!

If you tell me what model he has might be able to tell you what housings will fit. don't LISTEN to anything a sales rep in a shop says here.. they know nothing!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Kamo, is that vidoe camera of yours have english instructions or menues available? If not is it intuitively useable enough for a reasonable gizmo literate, katakana/hiragana reading, dictionary weilding person to use?

Quote:
Originally posted by jared:
Kamo, is that vidoe camera of yours have english instructions or menues available? If not is it intuitively useable enough for a reasonable gizmo literate, katakana/hiragana reading, dictionary weilding person to use?
all on screen menus are Japanese, Kanji, hira and kata. The main manual is Japanese but I got a small 8 page english quick guide which translates every on screen menu selection. so you can pretty much figure it out. After a day of playing around I have got it sussed. It would be better obviously in English but you can get around it.
English models are so much more expensive to buy here, you can save a lot of money going for the Japanese models.

and english models (all of them) have much needed functions and features stripped from the J models. You don't really need to use any effects besides lighting adjustments. the rest you can use in editing programs.

hows that baby doing Kamo?