In my office, most people work much later than the official finish work time. It is frustrating and stupid in my opinion, and no-one wants to go back home first every day.

I am sure not like this outside of Japan.

I want to know how for foreign workers do with this working in Japan - do same or just go early?!

thanks, hide

I hate it to hide! mad.gif

I try and compromise...I usually stay in at work about 10hrs (today I am already up to 12 mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif )...I can't handle more than that...start to go mad...

my coworkers are machines...freaks...12-15hrs day in day out...what gets me the most is the ones with wife and kids...why??? or the younger ones...why oh why?? life is not all about work...

all work and no play makes jack a dull boy

danz

Often work OT, but then I get paid by the hour, so not an issue with me. Pretty relaxed here for Japan.

Personally, I wouldn't stay for free. For me, to work for no money is to undervalue oneself, smacks of inefficiency and reflects a low regard for you by the company.

I do have solo projects which make it easier to go when I want though. I'm not letting anyone down if I leave early, and receive no help when i'm pushing 12 hour days in return. I like it that way.

For those of you who stay, are the rewards worth it? Would you get sacked if you didn't? Is it just pride/fear that keeps you working so late? Wouldn't going home 4 hours early be worth the cold shoulder?

Hide - you asked about outside of Japan. In America it depends on your job. If you work for a technology company, for example, you may be asked or even expected to put in long overtime hours when a project is nearing completion or is behind. Chances are you won't be paid for those hours. I have heard that in professions such as Law and Banking/Finance you are expected to work very long hours when you first start to earn your place. But overall I would say that the attitude of not wanting to be the first one to go home is not prevalant. The average Joe pretty much leaves when the day is over without feeling too guilty.

I work later than I probably would back home, but to me it is part of the deal. I know people who go back right on the bell, so to speak - but many of those people aren't going to get very far in Japan with that kind of attitude. (They probably don't want to or don't care, which is cool too \:D )

It constantly amazes me how much (more accurately, how LONG - time wise) many of my co-workers work. They are way from efficient at what they do, but put so many hours in. I often think they stay just so that they can be seen to stay, and so be seen to be "working hard". mad.gif

I wonder if this concept is changing slowly? Are people actually realising that working a long time does not necessarily mean working hard or efficiently?

• 2 weeks later...

The last school I worked at teachers were often in the teachers room still at 8pm. Some of them just watching TV (er, why don't you go home?) and some of them actually working.

when I was a uni a man told us that when you work more that 36 hours a week, the work you do in the extra hours is done half as efficiently as the first 36 hours. The more you work the less efficient you become until at around 50 or 60 hours (cant remember which) you start to loose ground and the work you do at this stage will require more work in the future to fix the crap you are producing.

personnally don`t have a problem working more than what my contract hours stipulate. especially if i`ve got no plans.

i sometimes even make a point of working MORE hours, bcos i often ask for time off. i.e. winter breaks so i can go to hokkers. and they`ve neva said `no`. usually i`m not even doin anythin, i`m just there, so it looks way good when i hand me reports in.

"what ya loose on tha monkey bars, ya make up on tha swings" :p

That period between needing the aircon and the date when the aircon goes on (as decided by the company) is always a pain. mad.gif

Same goes for hearing when it starts to get cold too.