I have team riders booked in for a big Quiksilver Airshow in 2 weeks. Today the owner of the Minsyuku/Ryoukan rings back and says that gaijin arent welcome because he doesn't want to get SARS! all my guys are from Australia... are there any SARS cases there?

i wanna go and smack that f#$&'king c$#%nt..

I guess its just like AIDS here too, its that smanky gaijin that brought that here, not the dirty frikking jiji's fresh from sex trips in Thailand...

assholes

Dude thats pretty wrong, gotta piss you off.

This guy came into work the other day asking for a plastic bag. So i give him a recycled one to help save planet earth and all that jazz. So the guy goes "Nah, i want a new, unused, one". I ask what difference it makes and he replies something like "I think its inappropriate that you give out used bags when there is SARS going around". Hey dickhead, its a plastic bag! A plastic bag!! Sheesh! If your that worried about it why are you touching money and going out in public and not wearing a face mask. Bloody tool. There haven't been any proven cases of SARS in Australia!

mad.gif

ignorant stupid F-wit. Really this stuff never ceases to amaze me. I hope his business go es broke. Whats the name of the place? lets spread the word not to patronize it.

Sue the bastard! mad.gif you might win.... it's totally racist discrimination, though his paranoia and bad attitude is probably born out of sensationalistic Japanese press....

Indosmn, Have you used this ryokan b/f? SARS is probably their latest excuse why gaijin aren't allowed....it bothers me too mad.gif

Anybody else been refused service for being a gaijin?

I could get him to tell me AGAIN exactly why he won't let the guys stay, either by fax or just record the conversation. Apparently thats would be enough proof to get the guy in some shit, but taking action would be time consuming, add stress to my life and probably end up getting me no where!

If it was in the USA or Australia etc maybe I would consider it because thats against the law to do what he has done, BUT this is Japan and it happens everyday and I am going to take a deep breath and just forget about it.

a few bricks might help my case!

That's so wrong and yet so typical. If you pursued this as a legal isssue and could provide proof you might get something out of it. There are anti descrimination laws here, but the gap between law and application is about as real as the descrimination that exists.How about dropping off a good old flaming bag of dog poo on their doorstep, ringing the bell and running to hide so you can watch them stamp it out. Or just mail it to them.

Now thats not very grown up is it? ;\)

Seriously, this kind of thing is an outrage, and there should be more known about it going on in society than there is now.

Go camp in a car in their parking lot, burn a fire have a some drinks and make a really loud noise.

Probably get thrown out by the boys in blue but at least you will feel a little better.

Seriously take the time to write a letter to the hotel owner. Explain your point and that you will tell all the Japanese and all Gaijin that will listen to you that, this hotel has bad service and is racist. A good letter can go along way. It wont solve the problem but its better than a bag of poo. If the owners just think that they will loose bussiness thats at least some punishment.

Good suggestion that. Get a good letter written in Japanese and English and maybe send it to a local paper too if they don't reply or say sorry.

The poo would only go to making the problem, and image, worse.

I agree with the emotions above, however if I ran a hotel business I would consider banning people from high risk SARS countries. In fact, I probably would do it. If you are a threat to me or my cashflow, you can't come in. Most of the time this is called discrimination.

However, Australia is not a high risk country (or even a risk country). This guy has not a strong SARS crutch to support his case.

I know plenty of night clubs in Sudney that have a secret 'no Asian' policy (as well as no Middle Eastern appearance). It is not only Japan that has problems with aliens.

db has a very good point... Britain and Australia certainly have their fair share of racism. Ol' whitey gets a little upset, however when the worm turns, After all, who 'found' have the damn world! ;\)

That's not to say the above behaviour is excusable. However, with racists everywhere, esp. rascism born of ignorance, any anti-social acts just serve to reinforce perceptions, and show (in this case the minshuku owner) just how right they were.

Best to be super polite, but stick to your case, send a letter, explain that, even though it embarasses you to do so, you will have to report the case to the tourist board/lawyer, etc. At worst, they'll get to feel small, at best, concede (at which point you can decline \:\) )

As for discimiation in Japan, have you ever stopped to think that it goes both ways. There are lots of places where i've got extra special treatment because i'm a whitey. Many here earn good money purely because they're the right nationality, and how many guys who used to get laid once a year, now get laid at least once a week, just because they're a novelty...

I hear where you're coming from if you say well it's my business I want to protect it... but... there haven't been any cases of sars in Japan, and people are screened before they leave and when they arrive in japan. Sounds like a business turning away people from sars affected countries are more likely to drive away business in the future than preserve it.

yes there is racisim everywhere but to be so blatent about it stating "NO GAIJINS" is what pisses me. Sure clubs in Oz etc have secret policies of no triad/mafia looking country people but they can't say that can they! there would be no club left. On a whole though I think besides Jonnie Howard Oz is a pretty multi cultural society where most people of different races live side by side and get along well and accept each other for what they are...

Immigration policy, attitudes toward aboriginals, Howard (thought he was an elected representative wakaranai.gif ), the list could go on. In Britain, again, immigration policy, sun readers, er, more sun readers ...

Sure, one cant be so blatant about it, but it's no less real, and i'd go further, to state that it's a far more aggressive style of racism, often leading to endangerment of life.

As for the SARS thing, I'm not convinced it is a case of racism. If our company is anything to go by, the action comes from ignorance and mass hysteria, and effects Japanese foreign travellers and gaijin alike.

Miteyak, mate, spot on with your comments.

I also agree with most of the above comments about the minshuku owner and the SARS thing.

But there is also a lot of whinging about how racist and difficult this country is towards gaijin. Here is a bit of advice folks - if you don't like it here...GO HOME! A great deal of Japan bashing is done by people who are here entirely by choice - if it is that bad, why stay?

When I was living in London, me and a lot of Aussie/Kiwi mates would sit around and complain about how crappy things were in London. No one ever suggested that we leave and give up the easy travel to the rest of Europe, the States or the money we were earning. It seems things here are much the same, just a larger mix of nationalities.

The racism in Japan works both ways. A lot of the people bleating on this thread have obviously forgotten every time they get a seat to your self on a crowded bus, or have a lane to themselves at the local pool whilst 4 Japanese share the other or win on to some cute girl because they're a gaijin (apparently this happens a lot - Unfortunately I've never lived in Japan whilst single so don't really know) or any one of a dozen other examples of the Japanese quaint home town attitude to foreigners that benefits us.

The problem with overtly exclusionary policies like the ones described above or those at that onsen in Otari is that there is a good chance that people seeing a sign saying "no gaijin" are going to assume that foreigners (and nobody else) must have caused some kind of trouble. It also normalizes prejudice, so that when the next excuse comes along (hooligans in the World Cup, for example), other businesses have no qualms in turning away gaijin either. In Sapporo, around the England-Argentina game, it was virtually every hotel in the city. So much for the World Cup being an international event.

Remember also that no gaijin also means no gaijin kids, no gaijin old people, no gaijin women. Not just blokes that can shag all they like. I'd hate to have to tell my kid (if I'm blessed someday) that we couldn't go to a football match s/he wanted to see just because of someone's prejudice.