well it just goes to show that security on commercial aircraft is very difficult to police. all that hijacker had to do was strap the timber steak to his calf/arm etc and walk through the "security gate" and away he went.... come to think of it... am surprised no-one else has done the same since S11

and the list goes on Kamo

i flew Qantas business class earlier this year and without hessitation they handed out the good old metal cutlery, glass wineglasses, etc.... the thing is... if we wanted total security, they would have us boarding strip naked without any carryon luggage what-so-ever. well come to think of it, it wouldnt be so bad in first class if "insert your favorite celebrity of choice here" were to walk on NAKED

life is full of risk... and international/domestic flights are just one of them. we can only minimise the risk on them i guess.

pardon the clice

but

probably have more chance of getting run over by a buss me thinks!!!

"Qantas chief executive Geoff Dixon, refused to describe the incident as a hijacking"

Let's see...

Angry man with weapon on an airplane.

Angry man with weapon attacks flight crew.

Angry man with weapon attacks passengers.

Angry man with weapon "was headed for the cabin to force a nasty outcome."

doesn't sound like a hijacking to me...

:rolleyes:

Nah Im not really worried. I mean you could stab someone with a sharpened fake fingernail. Learn some martial arts and you dont need any weapons to take people out. Its just a risk you take, but a small one in my book. Im sure driving a car is 1000x more dangerous.

I think we're safer than ever. 9/11 hijackers probably only got away with the hijackings and subsequent crashings because no-one imagined the consequences, and thought if they played it cool all would be well.

Nowadays, any act of aggression and I can imagine every macho character on the plane risking life and limb to subdue a potential hijacker, fearing certain death if they failed.

If you are only one or two in number, (assuming you're small enough to fit into an aircraft isle) you need more than sticks/knives/martial arts to stop a cabinload of cornered rats...

Anyone else here just that bit more wary this last couple of years getting on a flight. Glad when its over. ...and when exactly do you think that will be Scouser? Never is my bet.

What ever happened to the armed air marshalls? Wasn't there supposed to be some sort of half trained gun toting chuck norris wannabe on the planes these days?

Australia and the UK screwed themselves when they teamed up with the US.

Terrorism will end when people start to question and address its root causes rather than how we can kill or imprison every member of al qaeda in the world.

...looks like it won't be anytime soon...