Neighbourhood meetings and money

It is a cost I must pay in community, and everyone here does. I did not say it tax, but similar kind of must pay in life thing. I don't want to pay money of course but it is part of my community.

I don't know why you dont pay, but evetyone in my community pay it. It is for many thing in neighobrhood.

It sounds like you don't believe me or thinking I am stupid. Sometimes I think some of you people here have too much time or and always just trying to cause some bother. Why is that?But anyway, I finish this meesage.

akibun,

What I am asking is if you know what is happening to that money. It is your money afterall, I think you are entitled to know how it is used. If you found out the money was just lining the pockets of some ojii-san who has lived there all his life, would you still be willing to pay??

I do not think it is fiscally responsible to blindly give away your money...that's all...

danz

p.s. I don't think you are stupid akibun! It is really nice to hear a japanese perspective on alot of the issues we seem to discuss here...I enjoy your posts \:D

akibun, noone thinks you're stupid or is trying to cause trouble. I think it's just normal that if a person is asked every year to pay a significant amount of money, they should know where that money is going. If noone ever asked, how do you know that money isn't going to the local yakuza, or making someone very rich?

Nah I dont think youre stupid Akibun. Im sure Japanese people that go to our countries do the same as us and ask why why why why why about things that we dont even think about or wonder why its strange.

Damn if youre posting this much on an English forum youve gotta be one of the smarter gals around \:\)

Please all of you ask your Japanese colleague about it and maybe you find the answer, but it is a normal part and cost of life for most Japanese, in same was as is tax, insurance, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

we just got out bill

2400 yen for a year.

ours comes with reasons why we should pay...

1. they hand out information papers

2. help with gomi collection

3. in case of earthquake or flood, they will help out

so we can live in a comfortable neighbourhood.

sounds a little bit like a mafia racket.

like people wouldn't just automatically help out in earthquake?? i fear being prevented entry to the local high school after my house collapses cos i didnt pay my neighbouhood association fee.

"its for your own protection"

but its pretty cheap here in citiville so maybe we can afford it to keep the hoods off our backs...

but if it was over 10000 yen, i would consider making a hit on the town boss, and starting my own association. and everyone could call me Kyoufu-chan.

buuuuuu bu bu buuuu bu buu huuu

i must follow up this overly cynical appraisal with the note, that out in the countryside it does potentially help to sustain a bit of community spirit. in my gf's home cho they have biannual festivals with treats for the littluns, all knock in for a bit of clean up duty, and rent a storage room stocked with emergency provisions.

One of the blessings of Hong Kong is its tax system. You only pay for money you earn in Hong Kong and the maximum rate an individual must pay is 15% (after deductions).

HK sounds expensive...

Income and city tax here only come to 10% for me here in Japan (both are income based). Better off in Japan, well, below around 12 mill a year, anyway... \:D

You do get the odd joker who complains about paying taxes here though... wakaranai.gif

Wow, miteyak! 10%???! That's great. I thought we had it good!

Of course, only about 10% of the population ever get the "privilege" of paying that 15% tax because that is the max. for any level of income even if it is astronomical. However, if you're making 12 mil. a year (I assume we're talking Yen) you will probably be paying close to 15% here.