Does anyone on here have any problems with their landlords of aparto or house?

My landlord is not very friendly, and more so recently (I wonder why?) - and has been asking private things about what I do and the people who I invite in my apartment. I tell him it's none of his business of course, but he seems intent on causing some problem for some reason.

I was just wondering if any other people have had or have any problems of whatever kind with their landlords here?

I have never met or seen my landlord.

Doubt he even exists given the state of disrepair my apt. is in.

According to the real-state agent, he is a little bit afraid of gaijin, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

danz

In a mansion situation there exists a 'kumiai' or building association. I bought a 'mansion' and soon after the kumiai came and asked my wife and I for some extra elevator money b/c my wife was entertaining the idea of having English lesson in the front room of our place (she ended up buying a seperate classroom in another building). Anyway, the kumiai came around and asked for money for elevator use. We said NO. They said 'shoganai' and went away.

Point is be careful what people ask from you. Sometimes a simple 'no' will do. Too many times in Japan (or elsewhere) people just say 'OK' and that's it. If you don't understand or agree...just say NO! Landlord most likely isn't a lawyer and more likely an extornionist if they come around asking for some extra mulla. My kumiai guy now gives me deep bows when he sees me. wakaranai.gif

You are right of course rajeem-it's none of his business whatsoever and he shouldn't be harrasing you. After all you are his customer so he should be treating you like one. Doesn't sound like a fun situation at all, you need some help to get this guy off your back and put him back in his place, that is, saying "thank you very much for being my customer".

One suggestion is to get a Japanese friend to act on your behalf-I know that sucks but it could be effective. Another option is to seek advice from some type of help-line. I've done this in the past and ended up getting put onto an Osaka City Govt foreigners rights line-they were very helpful. Look in the KTO, KFM or Kansai Scene Classifieds. I have just found one number in the KTO for the Japan Help Line which offers counselling in English 0120-461-997 open 24/7-give them a try.

Another perhaps more costly option is to seek legal advice. An appropriately worded letter from a lawyer may have your man bowing so low he'll chaffe his forhead. Good luck and good on you for standing up for yourself.

My landlord is great. It helps that he was my friend first. No shikikin or rekin at all. I was allowed to build a 2 jo garden 2,5jo patio and a 2.5 jo bbq space out the back. The bbq I built is a nick 80 cms by 50 cms. Also free parking.

Bad landlords suck I had one once slash roomate. The guy was a pig. He would buy new shirts instead of doing the wash.

My landlord is great! He and his wife always bring us fresh vegies from their many gardens, and they love that I have an english school here because that brings them some "status" in the area!

Landlord before that gave me ALL of my 100,000 key money back PLUS 30,000 extra for finding a friend to move in straight away!

snowboard_freak When I walked into my landlord slash roomates room the stench from the unwashed shirts was sickening. The guy owned a bistro. He got free shirts all the time from the suppliers. He did give me about 4 shirts. The house was fairly clean cause he really only slept there. I was lucky that my other roomate, was shagging his bird at her house all the time, and the landlord worked till 2ish. Gave me lots of time to relax after sking hard all day. The place was 5 mins from the ski lifts.

dont drink and type

I never see my landlord, the only time I saw him was when I first moved in ,and he wasnt too friendly then either. There's no need to be close to the landlord, but interesting how some people are getting presents from them eek.gif

My Japanese friend told me recently that their landlord wants to renovate the apartment building that they live in - and is demaning payment from the people in the building for that work eek.gif Haven't spoken to him since then..