Quote:
Originally posted by badmigraine:

And there are always (even now) bills on the floor to change the requirements

\:\)
That would be 'dollar bills' right? ;\)

But the voters are right, you know. politicians have no place in politics, they just foul up the system. To steal someone elses line, if your pipes are leaking, why call a plumber... weren't they the guys that put the pipes in in the first place?

the running man certainly terminated the opposition in what can only be described as a total recall of the gov'na. Congratulations Arnie clap.gif
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"An estimated 10 million California voters cast ballots in the special election, 30 percent more than voted in the governor's race that reelected Davis last year and the biggest turnout for any non-presidential contest in state history, according to the Field Research Corp.

Political analysts said the lion's share of the higher turnout was coming from disaffected voters galvanized by Schwarzenegger." --from onenews.nzoom.com/

Fall1998: I remember sitting in my college dorm room when I got a call from my girlfriend in Minnesota - I couldn't believe what she had just said. "Jesse Ventura just won the gubernatorial election." It was a sad day for me, a day that proved the state of my childhood had undeniably gone insane. I came around a few weeks later and thought maybe this was a good thing - that he would shake things up a bit in the American political landscape consisting almost entirely of career politicians. But then he started saying and doing some odd things. He took multiple days off to play some golf...and lied about it. He suggested legalizing prostitution. He became an XFL commentator. And worst of all, he made good on the philosophy behind his campaign comment, "if you're smart enough to attend college, you should be smart enough to figure out a way to pay for it." He refused to give the University of MN the funds it had asked for (for the first time in like 20 years) and tuition skyrocketed and programs were cut. Now one of the most historically liberal states in the union (even too liberal for the democratic party, our left party is the DFL, democratic-farmer-labor) is SO screwed up, we have a Republican governor, a pawn of George W. (Norm Coleman) in one of our senate seats where the most liberal senator in the senate used to sit (Paul Wellstone), and Gore won Minnesota in 2000 by only 2 points!

This is a bit of rambling here, but I just wanted to point out what "disaffected voters" and populist politics are capable of. Tread carefully, Cali...

mad.gif

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Recent moves to amend California's three strike law, which means repeat offenders get twenty-five to life for non-violent crimes like "possession of two grams of marijuana" and "stealing a packet of AA batteries worth $2.69", were thwarted by the man himself who led a big money campaign about criminals on the loose. Presumably to show that he's "tough on crime".

And the press call him a "liberal" on social issues lol.gif

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/05/1521232