Damn Getaway for showing that Niseko expose at home...I bet there will be a rush now...and its the first time i go skiing in Japan....

My mates and I are planning next year. Im thinking a month in Niseko (we need to learn to ski powder..) or 2 weeks in Niseko and 2 weeks in Nozawa Onsen.

We dont do drops, dont go "out of bounds" but spend lots of time inbounds off piste (love the trees). 30 degrees and 30 cm of powder would be hard for most of us. 45 degrees and 15cm of fresh could be managed but we would be afraid. Moguls are good (unless bulletproof). We mostly ski Canada (Red is great, Fernie, Whistler, BigWhite Silverstar).

Are we going to get bored with a whole month in Niseko? We all want to ski powder confidently up to waist deep.

Most of us havent been to japan before (some pressure to do a little more than just ski - for me the Sapporo Ice festival and the brewery will do ;\) I have read lots and figure its going to cost $800aus or so to transfer Niseko-->Sapporo-->Tokyo-->Nozawa Onsen and be an overnight train.

Thats a lot of partying in Niseko if we dont move...(i think)

We are thinking Feb...

Nozawa looks so pretty and offers more Japanese experience (the architecture and the onsen thing) but Niseko seems to impress more for sheer quantity of powder.

Whaddaya all think?? Can someone give me some perspective on Niseko by drawing some comparison to the canadian resorts i mentioned. Red was the most recent but I get the impression steeps wise its more like bigwhite. How big is the "village"...

I think you will find that the Trees are not actually "inbounds" - its just that in Niseko they wont bust you for it but your still on your own when you hurt yourself.

p.s I would gladly spent a season at almost any ski resort especially Niseko.

I could also easily spend a month in Niseko. I did 3 weeks last season and the hill was always fun.

The only thing I got annoyed with was the chalet lifestyle and some of the people staying there. I love to party just as much as the next person. Most of the time even more but when it starts snowing out it's time to get some sleep to be ready for the next day.

Niseko Dreams - thats what Ive been having on and off for the past few weeks. Flying down the peak, the nice cornice at the top of Miharashi, mushies everywhere, face shot after face shot for months on end, ahhhhhh. Spending a season up there makes Niseko a special place for me. Would luv to go back for another one! Or any other big resort for that matter. Anybody wanna quit your job and go to a big resort for a season? Splittin costs would make it cheaper - guys or gals with mid-life crisis' are more than welcome lol.gif

Time off....no dramas = resign :p

We cant choose between Noz and Niskeo..

Crowds seem predicted at niseko next season.

Noz is harder to find self contained accom for 8

The trials of life hey ;\)

I havent been back to Niseko in 2 seasons but spent 6wks there for the 3 seasons consecutively before that and loved every minute I was there. The snow is superb, the small village is great and so beautiful. However, it seems that things have changed alot since then and now rich foreigners are buying up some of the real estate over there. I hear that more foreigners are riding the powpow over there than locals and Japanese and that all the restaurants have English menus. Im not saying that this is a bad thing but Niseko has certainly changed, or "progressed", depending on how you think about it. This is the same thing that happened to Fernie in Canada and alot of other places I guess. What does everyone else think about this?

The Fox and the Grapes

One hot summer's day a Fattwins was strolling through an orchard

till he came to a bunch of Grapes just ripening on a vine which

had been trained over a lofty branch. "Just the thing to quench

my thirst," quoth he. Drawing back a few paces, he took a run and

a jump, and just missed the bunch. Turning round again with a

One, Two, Three, he jumped up, but with no greater success. Again

and again he tried after the tempting morsel, but at last had to

give it up, and walked away with his nose in the air, saying: "I

am sure they are sour."

It is easy to despise what you cannot get.

;\)

You might be able to find non-self contained accom for 8 in Noz and do relatively better for eats for the money you spend. (However, this would probably preclude making complete animals of yourselves in your accommodations if that might, by any chance, be your intention.)

8 people staying for foreign-style lengths of time ought to give you a bit of room for negotiation in Noz.

Not the grapes in niseko that is for sure. The only picture that that I ever liked about niseko was this one. userpic23823pic53e4311a444024.JPG

or I can ski these sic lines hmmmmm

aeroimage.jpg it is a no brainer

another place not but 1 hours hike mtgoryu.jpg

Quote:
Originally posted by woywoy:
This is the same thing that happened to Fernie in Canada
Dam gaijin. I don't even understand the menus in fernie anymore. They were all translated from Canadian to English. And then those stupid gaijin start skiing our powder. Don't they know it's dangerous to ski off the runs eek.gif
Go home round eyes lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Toque did you ever ski fernie great place even if there are too many travelers there. If your into hiking 1 to 2hours you can ski mega biglines. The backside is crazy sic lines flowing down for 3000 vertical and knowbody skis back there except the slead heads.

I have only been 1 time. It was back in winter 97/98 I think. I drove the 12 hours with my ex and it started raining as soon as we got there. Freezing level was way up so tried skiing the next day and then drove most of the way back to her cabin in Manning Park where the temperature had dropped to -20 making skiing next to impossible as the snow was rock hard and there were super hard death cookies everywhere.

Looks like a good hill though. Just bad luck on my part. I remember on that trip that on the way home we drove through Rossland and it was raining there to. Probably a pineapple express mad.gif mad.gif

But yah I have been reading in a few places on some of the sick lines coming off the ridgeline through the chutes. Crazy Shiznit.

Fish bowl is still where its at. much better than Currie bowl.

A little off topic though next year Ill give you a hand drawn map for when you go back.

Yuki Im not talking size Im talk shit your pants jaw dropping lines that fall 3000 feet at an average of 40degree lines with drops and half pipes. Niseko is but one mountain where as Hakuba and so forth are interconnected craziness. If you watch most Japanese ski vids the crazy lines are in Hakuba or Gunma.

Have to agree with Fattins there. Niseko is fun and all but the terrain is lacking in a big way. Unless there is fresh snow it just doesn't have much to challenge.

I think that Niseko has a good thing going though and if you are there with good people you can find fun anywhere. It has good night life that's for sure.

Well when I do go home I am going to get into that area for sure. I really want Golden however any of the other areas will do. Rossland, Nelson, Fernie, Radium, Cranbrook.... The list goes on and on.

I spent some time at whitewater too Ill make you another map. Try to find the chute white lighting its pretty steep and narrow.

Im not talking about night life, nite life is what you make it. I have a great time chilling with OU and No fakie just drinking nice ales or chill in the onsen talking ski trash. blpic25781.jpg

I hope no one uses this map for how to get to these places cause there are problems getting there. Number 1 they both slid this year class 3. but if weather is permitting some sic crazy lines off of those areas. The happo side is the most dangerous keep away from those areas. dropping off of Happo without knowing will get you killed. many slide paths that narrow down and drag you forever.

I like the dream line. Very nice chute. That area if they put lifts to the top would be like Europe. Very sick. To bad they don't control it. Japanese skiers would be up front with all the best big mtn riders.

Fattwins - Are you ever going to to home permanently of is Japan it for you?

Really thinking about that question.I like you would like to move to golden. work is the problem. English teaching here is in decline ie salary isnt what it used to be. thinking about opening a bandb here or there or a homestay program. Before I go back I want a kid for the inlaws here. live can be filled with hard choices.