M*A*S*H - what do people think?

When I was laid up for surgery, I watched all of season 2 on DVD. It's all I could get. Just recently I recieved season 1 and 3 in the mail.

I just want to make the proclimation that MASH is the best sitcom ever! I love the show. I have fond memories of watching it with my dad in the 80's, but I don't remember too many of the episodes. These DVD's are great!

Have any of you from countries other than the US seen the show? If so, how do you like it?

PS - just gotta add this in for the UK guys - I just watched the first season of 'The Office' - damn funny I thought! Much better than the swill on Ami TV right now.

I used to like MASH when I watched it as a teen. It was on in England. Great theme song - I sing it to my kid all the time (he needs to learn some philosophical perspective). The actors in MASH are also very good.

I expect I would still enjoy it.

I agree 0-11. Great stuff. It really re-defined the whole notion of TV comedy. Darkness, slapstick, one-liners ....all seved with a meaningful punch. ie. war sucks big time. In the 70's nothing could touch it. Probably if you're younger and brought up on modern pulp, watching it as a late night filler could well be less than satisfying. I'm sure I'd still get into it. ;\)

Thanks for the replys people. Just wondering how other thought of it outside the US. I'm about 3/4 finished watching the 1st season now and I still gotta say - great show! I just remember coming home from grade school and at 3PM Mash would be on. My dad and I would watch it and then go shoot hoops. I didn't really understand it then, so it's great to revisit the show. I really appreciate it now. I think I'm the Hawkeye of the Pacific Theater....except I'm not a surgeon or in the military.... \:\)

I didn't want to start two threads, but what does everyone think about 'The Office'? UK show that I thought was great. I got to admit BBC has come out with some decent stuff lately. Beats the crap they sent the US for 'reality tv' \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by oxydiser:
The Office is a MASTERPIECE.
Incredibly funny, hilarious.

May take a while for a non-brit to get it first time... (or maybe not)

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif
I got it right away. I think it translates just fine into any office enviro. Goddamn funny show! I rented the first season one weekend on DVD and loved it! I really like the way they filmed it, almost like a documentary. Good stuff. Can't wait to see more.
  • 2 weeks later...