• 10 months later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have lower back pains all the time because I play field hockey. But about 8 years ago I bought an Osim massage chair. It was very expensive but well worth it. I still play hockey and once I get back pains the massage chair relieves it very quickly.

I have finally been able to start working out again these last 2 weeks after taking 6 weeks off because of hurting my neck/shoulder. Now, I think one of my discs is slipped because depending on the position of my head/shoulder/arm my right arms tingles a little bit. It gets a little numb. I think I need to see a Chiropractor \:\( " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" />

Sometimes the spine gets slightly misaligned and this will cause pain especially when some nerves are pressed between the discs. Sometimes a visit to the Chiropractor will do the job immediately. Just a few twists with skilfull hands and the pain disappears.

Im just worried about finding a "certified/qualified chiropractor" if you know what I mean. I cant stand J-doctors and having somebody mess with my bodies alignment scares me. In the States i saw the same guy who was both my chiropractor and massuse for years. If the chiropractor is not good he/she can totally screw up your body... \:\(

Nobody in Kansai has been to one have they?

• 1 year later...
 Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
I don't know why this pain always comes around this time of the year. It's almost like annual event for me now... Ouch!...
me too slow. Probably cuz its cold and your muscles/joints/ligaments tighten up... my knees are creaking like an 80 year old man \:\(

Lets operation \:\(
  • 1 year later...

If your back pain reappears every winter it might be rheumatic. You might want to see a Doctor. I have constant lower back pain. From heavy lifting at work and I think a futon that is due for replacement. Over the years I have torn back muscles and put myself in a lot of pain from lifting. I have pain at the moment and the remedy for me at the moment is lots of exercise, I make sure I commute by bike most days. Stretching in a morning, standing on balls of feet (is this the Alexander technique) pushing shoulder blades together, improving stance by standing upright. My mother swears by Pilates. She no longer goes to the physio every 6 months. But it requires you to attend a class and have the discipline I don’t have.

Slow, I hope you get some relief because back pain is really, really crap. I do think you might want to see a chiropractor, I know I should, but I hate Doctors and being a typical man I only go when it gets serious. wakaranai.gif

I've got a great chiro/sports doctor/accupuncturist guy here in Toyama :p

actually I think I'm going to drop in to see him next monday. My shoulder is out of place again.

He used to practice in Osaka. Do you want me to ask him for recommendations?

Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
It's coming back again....... \:\(
Why, why, why, why always this pain appears at the same time every year??
you should stop tying yourself into knots slow - that yoga stuff can be bad for you too ;\)

is it the change in weather (cold?) that triggers it? do you change your workout routine now that its cold which affects the muscles?

I think my neck (that I hurt 2 years ago) will be one of those lifelong lingering injuries that dont go away \:\(

Try a chiropractor??That sucks that its been hurting on and off for this long slow \:\( thumbsdown.gif

Avoid massage on the lower back unless it's from a chripractor - there's not alot of good you can do there as an amateur.

I tweaked my lower back a bit earlier this autumn, jarring it running out of a trick skating. Plus i think i slept funny or sat in twisted position at work. It was a bit sore the first run last weekend - hitting the chunky chopped powder in low visability, but it got better over the course of the day with the active strong posture of snowboarding.

Massage on the areas around the lower back, ie. the rest of the back/shoulders, thighs and hips, and even lower legs and feet is a better idea than massaging directly on the lower back, apart from just rubbing it to get it warm.

Try gentle back twists from yoga, or kneeling in a ball on top of your legs, head on the ground too, arms my the side, and just dreathing deeply into the back to stretch and lengthen the spine gently - do this in a warm room though.

Do you particularly feel the cold Slow?

CB are you in one piece for hakuba?

slow, should've said this earlier - Christine is a miracle worker with that kinda thing, but she's outta here on Monday. But she'll be back for 3 months next March....

In the meantime try Alexander or Feldenkrais - it'll make you more aware of whatever you're doing unconsciously that is putting your back outta wack. This will ultimately prevent it from happening in the future.

Alexander have a centre in meijiro.

http://www.alexandertechnique.co.jp

Quote:
Originally posted by AK 77:
Avoid massage on the lower back unless it's from a chripractor - there's not alot of good you can do there as an amateur.
AK, who are you calling an amateur? I'm gonna twist your back for you when I get there next week. mad.gif
But on a serious note, my lower back always used to hurt me some years back. That was during the time I was playing hockey a lot. The chiro did indeed help a lot but after I got an OSIM massage chair I didn't have to go to the chiro any more. It was quite effective. I do recommend that but if you don't want to fork out a lot of YY for a good massage chair, chiros are also very good.

i found a few intense sessions of professional thai massage did wonders for my lower back. i find it involves elements of yoga, chiro and massage. and once you are finished a session you feel thoroughly pulverized. but my lower back pain disappeared.

that being said, it is certainly important to be diligent in developing the flexibility and core strength required to keep problem at bay.