it all depends on how good either professional is wouldn't you agree?

i've been lucky enough to have some good chiro work done on my back and it fixed it up real good. however this guys was very good. he never forced manipulations, and he also went through a full range of stretches and exercises for me to do before our sessions began and for me to do at home between sessions.

that being said, i have friends who have been quite nearly robbed by dodgy chiros, and massage therapists the like.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not convinced that alternative medicine like chiropractic or acupuncture works, so I wouldn't be any more comfortable about having my spine manipulated than I would about taking a powerful drug of unknown efficacy. I don't actually believe in chi and other 'life forces', but I do know that having pins stuck in my muscles is effective in drawing my attention to them so I can concentrate on relaxing them.

I would tend to believe that the less chiropractic your man does and the more of whatever else he does, the better he would be.

Slow, you are a keen cyclist right? now that winter is upon us I am guessing you have pretty much stop your big weekend rides?

Often stopping something like cycling, which is not the greatest for lower backs can allow your muscles to relax and weaken the good back muscle conditioning that you built up over summer.

It could be causing your pain, just a theory from experience - it isnt until well after I stop regular exercise that I get the onset of pain.

I have been having a about a month off hard exercise and my body aches more now that when I was exercising hard!

'Use it or lose it' as the tired cliche goes.

Thanks everyone, my lower back is getting better after 2days easy skiing and relaxing in the onsen.

I'm happy this pain didn't bother my skiing this weekend. I know I should but not going to see a doctor this time. Maybe next time, it'll be December 2007. ;\)

Hi Slow.

Speaking from personal experience back pain doesn't tend to sort itself out.

I did mine (lower back) nearly two years ago and thought I'd never be able to do any sport again.

But with a lot of physio, osteopathy and a steroid injection it has recovered.

However I regularly have to do pilates-style exercises to remain pain free.

I'd get yourself checked out - if nothing else it could help keep you on the slopes till you're old and grey!

Yoga (even poorly done) is amazing for preventing them in my case. But I'm not pushing it or anything.

The best fix I've found are those rodeoboy machines. You can usually give am a run for free at Tokyu hands. It seems to click whatever is out of place back into place for me.