• Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'm asking for a run down on the terminology. I took local advice when I bought them. Carving sounds fine, because my days of off-piste heroics are long gone. You can never find a dood when you want one......

Fun, yes, I'm very happy with them. Mind you, they are the first skis I've owned, a big improvement on rental gear.

Another question. I stand/ski on the outside edges. I know it is possible to get boots with adjustable cant, but mine are not. I'd guess a competent fitter could measure and adjust. Any comments?

no. competent boot fitter or not, you can only work within the equipment's limitations. if they cannot be ajusted laterally then they simply can't. well not with out altering the structural integrety of the shell. or changing the rivoting system entirely. in which case why bother, just buy new boots that can be ajusted. remember that really competent boot fitters charge quite a lot of money per hour.

but there is a potentially fast solution to this problem. discover if the issue is infact a skeletal problem, or simply a stance and balance problem concerning lateral inclination.

get that sorted out. if it is indeed a skeletal issue then get boots that can be ajusted. this is not only an issue of 'cant', but also one if footbeds. they will hold your feet in neutral possition and help balance the way you stand on your feet. just like orthotics. if you are in drastic need of alterations, you can also have lifters fitted with your bindings with more significant inclinations to handle extreme ajustments. it depends, on a few things i suppose. how bow legged are you? how much time do you spend on your skiis? how concerned are you with optimum performance? where do you see yourself going with skiing in the next number of years? how much are you willing to spend?

this will effect your stance significantly and should be ajusted for your ski performance and also just your own safety. at high speeds you will be concentrating a significant amount of force on your MCLs and depending on how balanced your fore and aft stance is, quite a lot on your ACLs as well. with carving skiis you run the risk of hurting your knees if you are significantly out of balance or out of cant.

i hope this helps

good luck

• 2 weeks later...
 Quote:
You can also get shims put on the skis, but you really need someone who knows what they're doing.
Always helps to know someone and go to a place that has a good reputation.

I once asked a local ski shop to do something for me with my boots/bindings on me gear and they nearly wrecked it and there are still marks on that old gear as a souvenir. I was bloody angry with the incompetents that were working on my stuff.

Most staff in the big chains are, in my experience, next to USELESS!