Using a credit card to make payments online

I tried to answer the poll but none of the options was suitable. Because I do, occasionally. However, I am scared because I was burned once. Just took my money and never received the package.

Couldn't you get your credit card company/bank to reverse the charge, Markie?

I'm sort of going through something like that at the moment. I ordered something online, have since noticed it has been charged to my CC but I haven't recieved anything yet. I will wait a couple more weeks and see about getting the charge reversed.

I had a case where I bought something online 3 years ago and cancelled it 2 years ago. Or so I thought. But last year, the "annual charge" that I didn't know anything about ANYWAY of $100 appeared on my card. I got it back after a lot of fuss with the Visa people (who were very helpful actually). It was very annoying though, and it took me 3 months to get that $100 back in my account. mad.gif

Kintaro, I tried that and was unsuccessful. The credit card company claimed that they were only responsible for making the payment and that the fulfilment of the terms of the contract was a matter between myself and the trader. Of course I was not likely to take legal action against the trader as he was in the U.S..

The credit card company would have addressed the matter if I had claimed that the payment was not authorized by me, i.e. credit card fraud.

Hope you have better luck.

Sending your credit card info online carries the same risk as passing your info over the phone. It's just another method of transaction. If a company is going to screw you over, it wont matter if you give them your number online or over the phone.

Living up here means that there aren't too many big shops, so unless I want to take a trip to the city, the internet is where I do lots of my shopping.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was charged $120 by a company as a recurring charge - even though I filled in a form to cancel the service a few months previously. It has taken nearly 4 months, but I got my money back and it will be credited to my card on the next statement. It took time, but I've got it back. I'm just hoping that they do not try again next year and I have to go through it all over again.