How has your English accent changed since you came here? While I never had a strong scouse accent, people can still hear the Liverpool / North West in me even now. It doesn't seem to wear away that much with the years.

Tho' I'm not in Japan, I have people confused with my "accent".

I am Scottish, born in Aberdeen, lived near Aberdeen till about 4, the lived outside Glasgow till 8, but have English (London) parents, so spoke English at home and Scottish at school and with friends. Moved to Sydney (AU) till 15, then moved to Adelaide. Adelaide has a more refined (more english) accent than Sydney.

My accent is now so confused, I pronounce some words using one accent, and other words using another accent.

Damn funny watching/listening to people trying to work out where I'm from.

my accent is pretty messed up aswell.

my dads canadian (i live in toronto now)

my mums australian (i lived there for 7 years)

and i went to international schools in singapore and hong kong for the rest of the time.

in singapore most of the teachers and students were brits. so i picked up a bit of their accents.

people in canada think im australian

people in australia think im from north america

My accent is pretty neutral I think as well, if you ignore my "athletics" comment. The longest place Ive lived for any duration was Hiroshima for about 5 years. Most of my mates there are Aussie with only a few other "yanks" to hang out with. That, and most of my friends in Japan have been here anywhere from 5-15 years so we all speak like a textbook lol.gif

Everyone has an accent.

I find that my accent is more pronounced when I am hanging out with people from the same country as me here in japan. When I am with people from other English-speaking countries then I think somehow the accent is less pronounced. If that makes sense. I reckon the more time you spend with people from other English-speaking countries than your own the more your accent becomes an "international" accent, being a mix of British, American and your own country's accent.